Gas or Fail

Arabella's POV

Today was the Standardized Test day and I dreaded it. The only reason we had this test was for the teachers to get paid for how well we do on the tests. I've heard the test isn't hard, it's just stupid and useless and I want to go home. Also, it's been a few days since I confronted Amelia, the bully, and she hasn't said or done anything to me recently. I think she got the message that she shouldn't mess with me.

My whole body image thing hasn't changed. I'm still unhappy with how my body looks, but I obviously haven't spoken about it to anyone. Just gonna keep it to myself and figure out how to deal with my body image issue on my own. No one is affecting me this time, so I don't need help solving the problem. It's simple.

"Maria Von Trapp." Ms. Shapen called.

"Here." Maria said.

"Uh, Ruth Westheiner."

"Present." Ruth said.

"Abraham Zapruder."

"Here." Abraham called and was filming with an obsolete camera that looked like it came from the 1960s.

"Ugh, Abraham put that obsolete camera away." Shapen told him and he put the camera away. "Now does everyone have their test booklets?"

We all said yes.

"Good. Now you all know why this test is so important, right?" She said us, holding the test booklet in her hands and we all didn't care or didn't know. She groaned, rolling her eyes. "Henry, Jasper, stand up and explain it to the class while I put pimple cream on my back."

"Ew..." I muttered as she started to put pimple cream on her back.

Henry stood up. "Uh, every Christmas the principal gives all the teachers bonuses."

Jasper stood up, adding to Henry's explanation. "And the higher we all score on the test the more money Ms. Shapen gets."

"Or as I like to call it, 'the better your grades, the more I gets paids." Ms. Shapen smiled and I rolled my eyes.

"Now, we're gonna sit down." Henry said and he and Jasper sat back down.

"Charlotte?"

"Yes, ma'am?"

"Switch places with Manchester." Ms. Shapen told her and I gave her a look.

"But I don't want to." I protested. I sit in the front because of my dyslexia and it's easier for me to learn when I'm closer to the board.

"Well, Do Re Mi don't care. Now be a good little female deer and move." Shapen snapped and I glared at her as I got up from my spot. Charlotte and I switched seats and I sat down, huffing. "There. Now, I'm putting Charlotte in front because she's much smarter then the rest of you."

Most teachers help you learn, but all Shapen does is help me hate this class more and more.

"Now, I realize it's gonna be tempting to copy off of Charlotte's test paper, mm?" Shapen remarked, showing us Charlotte's booklet. "But if I catch anyone cheating, you know what's gonna happen?"

"No, what?" Jasper asked her.

"Nothing!" Shapen replies and started doing a weird popping thing with her mouth.

"What are you doing with your mouth?" Henry asked her a little weirded out.

"Winking." She said, "I have weak eyelid muscles, so I'm a mouth winker." She continued to do it and we begged her to stop until she did. "Alright!"

"But cheating is wrong." I reasoned and everyone agreed with me.

"Not when an under paid adult tells you to do it!" Shapen snapped at me and glanced at her watch. "Now everyone pick up your pencils." We all opened our booklets and Shapen flipped over an hourglass. "And begin."