Chapter 1

The sun began to set, painting the sky with a beautiful array of colors which gradually grew darker and darker. Large brown eyes drank in the display, a fluffy haired blonde leaning out of her window slightly, propped up on her elbows with her head cradled in her hands.

She sighed lightly before withdrawing and closing the window quietly as the cool air of night began to nip at her bare arms and face. She smiled slightly still looking out the window for a time before getting up off the bed she had been sitting on and making her way across the room to her desk. Pulling the chair out, she plopped herself down to work on her book for a time before she went to sleep. She clicked on the small desk lamp and began to leaf through the pages, scanning them for obvious mistakes as she went.

A note here and a scratch there, she made her way to the end of what she had completed so far. Writing was her love as much as reading and her guild were, and she took great pride in her work even though she let few see her incomplete book. She touched the pen to her chin thoughtfully glancing at the window for a moment before returning to her work.

A few hours flew by as she focused her entire attention on the task before her, only stopping as a long yawn forced its way out. Stretching, she set the pen down, gathering up the papers and stood up. Clicking off the light she slowly made her way to her bed, removing her tank top and pulling over a sleep shirt she had left handy on a side table. Pulling the blankets back on her bed, she sleepily snuggled into the warmth beneath. Sighing happily at the sudden heat she closed her eyes to sleep.

A mumble set her to alert, her eyes snapping open to look at the intruder in her bed. His pink hair was a mess and he was mumbling in his sleep, one arm jutting out and another clutching a small blue cat, who was also sleeping peacefully. The girl sat up quickly, letting out a short scream as she registered the intruder.

"Natsu!" She yelled, pushing him lightly. When he didn't respond she shook him, harder and harder until his eyes slowly opened to regard his bed mate.

"Oh..." He mumbled sleepily, "are you done writing Lucy?" He sat up slowly, rubbing his eyes and letting the sleeping cat slide down to the bed, where it rolled slightly mumbling about fish.

"What are you doing here in my house, Natsu? In my bed even?" Lucy squeaked this out, the surprise of her visitor fading quickly.

He smiled happily, cocking his head to the side as he spoke, "To see you of course!" He gestured to the desk where Lucy had been seated moments prior. "You looked so focused on that that we didn't want to bother you so we laid down here," Natsu patted the bed with his hand, "and I guess we fell asleep while we were waiting for you to be done."He spoke cheerfully and with a wide grin, oblivious to the serious face of his friend.

"Alright." Lucy nodded, accepting that as the reason behind how she had found the dragon slayer, "but that didn't answer why you're here." She crossed her arms, and raised an eyebrow at her companion, hoping he had a good reason to sneak into her room.

He smiled widely once more, "I found us a mission!" He spoke with even more cheerfulness than previously. His grin brightening further at each word he spoke, "your rent is due soon. And I thought that you'd want to go just us three. Like old times." He said the last while reaching down and rubbing the belly of the sleeping cat, "Happy picked out one he thought you'd like." He practically beamed at the celestial mage before him.

Lucy sighed, smiling at Natsu. "Thank you, Natsu." She grinned happily at him, blushing lightly at the fact that he thought of her, "what is the mission anyway?" She asked merrily.

He pushed himself up and leaned close to Lucy, reaching past her, and retrieved a piece of paper off of the bedside table. Handing it to her she read it, her smile slowly fading. Reaching the end of the page she looked up at her companion who was still smiling happily, if not sleepily.