Chapter 27

Wendy looked at her friends with a smile as they began throwing around ideas of how to approach the enemy. Natsu of course wanted to just blast in and start a fight as soon as they tracked Crystal down, and Gray was in a rare complete agreement with the fire mage. Lucy shook her head in concern. "If we just go in without a solid plan something could go wrong." She said, he voice still full of worry about the safety of the lightning dragon slayer. She had come to grips with her guilt for the most part, focusing her concern onto finding her friend. She still felt horrible about him being taken away, but at least instead of sobbing in the corner, she was dead set on making a difference and trying to help how she could.

"Like we ever had a plan any other time." Natsu countered.

Lucy shook her head, "This time's different and you know it. There's a hostage involved and I doubt this girl would be willing to throw away such a powerful piece."

"Lucy's right, Natsu. We can't just run in without a clear idea of what we're up against. This isn't like the other people we've fought. This Crystal has done her research on us, she'll know at the very least our basic attack patterns and will be able to counter them." Erza sighed, "Plus we plan on tracking her down to her own place, where we have no idea of what the layout will be or what kind of magic she can use. We'll be at a sure disadvantage."

"Ehhh, disadvantage? who cares!" Natsu stomped a foot, "We have luck on our side, and there's no way she's gonna be able to beat us after she messed with family." He clenched his fist as he spoke, the hand flaring as it caught fire.

"Erza's right." Wendy chimed in worriedly, "We all saw what she did to the guild with little effort, I don't want to imagine how she'd be in her own territory." She shook her head at the thought. "We should make a plan. Something to at least fall back on."

Natsu smiled down at the young girl, patting her on the head, "Alright, we'll figure something out Wendy."

A few people had wandered over as they were discussing the necessity of a plan, one finally speaking up as Natsu finally gave in to the idea.

"We could split into teams, a dragon slayer in each," Levy piped in, smiling at the idea. Gajeel, who had followed her over grumbled slightly, but remained silent as the girl continued. "Each team will have a slayer, and someone who's strong and one who's pretty smart. Or something like that anyway."

Mira smiled at her, "That'd be perfect." She scuttled away to borrow a magic pen from Reedus before returning and sketching out a team plan before anyone could speak out against the idea.

The layout was set as: Team 1 - Natsu, Lucy, Gray. Team 2 - Wendy, Erza, Mystogan, Romeo. Team 3 - Gajeel, Levy, Mirajane, Elfman. Team 4 - Freed, Evergreen, Bixlow.

Team 1 will scout to the north, 2 to the west, and 3 to the east, each dragon slayer attempting to hook onto Laxus's scent somehow. Warren would be used to keep connected, and Jet would relay when needed. Team 4 would act as back up when the target is found, and the successful team will watch and wait as the reinforcements head to their location.

"How does that look?" She asked grinning at the plan.

"I have no problems with it," Lucy smile lightly at the writing, hope filling her as she saw who would be assisting.

"Mira..." Erza rumbled. She was happy with the team plan, each clearly playing on the strengths of the members. But one name stuck out as not fitting. "Mystogan isn't around anymore you know. He won't be able to help out."

"I know." Mira smiled at the armored wizard cheerfully, her eyes sparkled at her cunning. "Buuut, we do know a twin who would be willing to stand in for him."

"I doubt Jellal will be able to help, since there's been so many problems in Fiore as of late." Gray commented.

Mira pouted slightly, "Fine, maybe we'll ask Doranbolt or something. I'm sure he'd want to help Wendy at least. Or maybe someone-"

"I think we should just keep this in the guild, Mira," Gajeel said, cutting off the blathering wizard. He took the pen from her hand and crossed out Mystogan's name, then drew a sloppy circle around Elfman's name and an arrow pointing to Team 2. He looked the girl waiting to see if she complained, "How's that look? Or do you want to switch instead?"

"No, no, it's alright." She said, defeat clear in her voice. She noted that he didn't try to move Levy out of his team, and began to voice that point, "Why not move-"

"We'll need to head out right away." Natsu interjected, having not heard Mira begin to speak. "We'll gather anything we need and head out in a few minutes."

The group nodded, and dispersed, leaving Mirajane and Lucy with her thoughts. She lowered her eyes, looking at the ground as she again ran through the things that had happened over the past few days. It had felt like months, not barely a week since she went on the mission with the three dragon slayers. She sighed with worry, jumping slighting as a hand rested on her shoulder.

"He'll be alright. I've known him a long time, and I know he can handle himself until we get there. I promise." Mira sat down next to the blonde, moving her hand from the girl's shoulder to grip her hand lightly.

"I know." Lucy smiled slightly, clearly still concerned. "It's just a lot to take in. First Laxus..." She stops herself, unsure if Mira knew any details.

"I already heard about Laxus' confession, and Natsu's too. Don't worry, you're not going to ruin any surprises." Mira smiled knowingly. "Have you given thought to whom you will choose?"

"Some." Lucy stated plainly. "I just haven't had much experience with people confessing to me, so I wasn't sure how to go about it. When he... Laxus... told me how he felt I was just so stunned. I mean this is Laxus we're talking about, big, mean, 'I do my own stunts' kind of tough guy." She tried imitating how he sat when in the guild, earning a laugh from the takeover mage. "I didn't know what to say. I know he had asked it jokingly back when Phantom Lord attacked, that was a joke, but this time was different. I could tell, looking at him that day when he danced with me." She bit her lip lightly in thought, "He was serious. It wasn't a joke anymore, and I didn't know how to handle it. I went to turn him down that night, you know. He stopped me, told me to think on it before I reply. And we haven't talked about it since."

Mira looked at her friend, quietly letting her speak, to vent her thoughts and frustrations, her worries. Let her get them out of her system before they interfered with the coming conflict. "When you thought on it, did you come to a conclusion."

Lucy nodded quietly, "Yes and no. I had thought about it a lot since then. And then Natsu, well, after he confessed too, I don't know how to respond now. I do love him, but I don't know which love it is. I couldn't picture my life without him in it now, or without anyone from Fairy Tail in it." She smiled proudly as she thought of the guild, "But..."

"Close your eyes, Lucy." Mira said softly. "Close them and think with your heart and not your brain for once, think of who you care about, as family and as a love. Hopefully, if you're heart knows you as well as I do, you'll see the one you choose." She smiled as the blonde did as asked.

Lucy closed her eyes, thinking of those she considered family, many faces flashed in her mind, most were members of Fairy Tail, as well as Sting, Rogue, and Yukino. Her father and mother, her Celestial spirits, the exceeds, face after face of those she felt she could trust, those she cared most for flashed through her mind. She then changed her thought to the one she loved, in her heart and soul. A face flashed up, and a light blush tinted her cheeks at the image.

"Well?" Mira asked expectantly.

Lucy's eyes snapped open, the blush starting to recede, but still apparent. "I guess I knew all along." She laughed, " Thank you Mira. I know who I'll choose, who I've already chosen."

^_^