Chapter 20

It had been about a half hour since Erza had left to get drinks. A boring half hour, as Laxus had pointed out numerous times. The pair of blondes had shuffled through almost a quarter of the scattered pages, Lucy listening to music through the 'borrowed' headphones she still wore from earlier that morning. The blonde dragon slayer had attempted to get them back a few times throughout that quiet half hour, but the celestial wizard wouldn't budge, even going so far as to threaten to keep them if he didn't leave her alone.

Although he didn't say it, Laxus was quite happy to spend time with Lucy, even if they didn't speak to each other through the majority of the time. So when the door to the office suddenly swung open with a pink haired dragon slayer running through it at top speed, he could barely keep himself from growling out of annoyance.

"LUCY!" Natsu shouted as he skidded to a stop in front of the desk that the girl was sitting at. She looked up at him, carefully removing one of the small speakers from her ears, before smiling and waiting for him to continue. "I need to talk to you now." He glanced at Laxus, "Alone."

Laxus scowled, "Fine I get the hint, I'll go see how those drinks are coming along. Don't make a mess kids." He teased half-heartedly. He knew what was coming, and while he didn't want to let his competition have his moment with the young blonde, he had agreed to let him confess when he finally got the nerve to do so.

"A-alright." Lucy put the papers she was going through to the side, and after watching the larger blonde stomp out of the room, turned her full attention to Natsu. Silence filled the room as she removed the other headphone, and stood up to stand before the now fidgeting dragon slayer. After what felt like hours, she spoke up, "Well? What did you need to talk to me about?"

"Give me a minute, this isn't something I'm used to doing." Natsu began pacing around. After a few more minutes he groaned loudly.

Lucy tsked, "Laxus will be back soon, and we really need to finish as much of this as we can today. We still haven't figured out whose papers were taken yet."

Natsu hung his head slightly before recovering himself and grabbing Lucy by the shoulders and pulling her into a tight hug. The sudden action caught the blonde by surprise, her face flushing quickly, and causing her to start slightly.

Relaxing slightly, Lucy returned the hug, eyeing her best friend with concern. "What's this all about?" She asked carefully. She really had no idea what had been bothering him the past couple days, and she had hoped that he would work through it, and if he really needed some advice, that he would talk to her without her prompting. Perhaps this is that, he'll finally open up about whatever it is.

"Lucy you know how." Natsu stopped, gulping nervously. He thought back to Erza's support, and then continued, "How me and Laxus fought the other day, and he made me confess in front of the guild, right?"

Lucy nodded, giggling slightly, "That was yesterday, Natsu. But yes, I remember, you said Levy and everyone thought you were kidding. Were you?"

Natsu nodded quickly, "I wasn't able to admit it in front of everyone."

"Too embarrassed?" Lucy teased, poking him in the cheek.

He nodded slightly, "Yea. And no." He paused for a short time, collecting his thoughts.

"What's wrong with you, Natsu?" Lucy pushed out of his hug, carefully but forcefully enough that he would release her, "This isn't like you, to let little things bother you."

Natsu gave her a smile, but he couldn't keep himself from distracted with his thoughts.

"Natsu, I'm worried, this really is out of the ordinary for you." Lucy crossed her arms and stared him down, concern plain on her face, "Maybe you should get something to eat or take a nap for a little bit, there's a couch there if you-"

Natsu huffed, snorting a small puff of flame out of his nose, "I'm not tired or hungry, Lucy." he stated in annoyance, his claim quickly made false by his stomach growling loudly. At the sound he looked down, blushing slightly, "alright, maybe I'm a little hungry. But only a little, but that's NOT what's bothering me." He stomped his foot once to show he wasn't about to back down from this even though he desperately wanted to.

"Then, what is wrong then?" She was getting annoyed now, with so much work to do plus, while she wouldn't admit it, she was getting quite hungry. She watched him for a few minutes as he continued to go through his thoughts. Glancing at the door, she sighed, "I know you and Laxus have your," she waved her hand around a second, searching for the word, "differences, but that doesn't mean you have to be upset with him. I doubt he's bothered by your little fight, so you shouldn't be." She smiled at him, placing a hand on his shoulder, "I'm sure that you two can stay friends no problem."

Natsu stared at the smaller blonde, dumbfounded, as she beamed up at him proudly. She removed her hand, gave him a quick thumbs up and turned to return to the desk, sure that she had figured out what was eating at her friend recently. Before she made it more than two steps away from her friend, Natsu reached out and grabbed her by the wrist, pulling her back into his arms.

Both wizards were stunned at the sudden act, but Natsu recovered first, quickly flashing back on how Laxus confessed, and steeled himself. Grabbing Lucy by her face, he pulled her to him, kissing her awkwardly before burying his face in her hair.

"That's not what has been bugging me Luce!" He shouted, his voice muffled by the mass, he quieted, "I just." He paused, pulling himself to his full height and staring at her straight in the eyes, "I (think) I love you." He had mumbled out the think part, hoping that Lucy wouldn't hear it mixed in.

Clearly she hadn't, as she stared at him wide-eyed in shock. Recovering, she shook her head, and staring up at him, "You." She flushed, "Really?" She asked.

Natsu nodded in confirmation, blushing madly.

"A-and that's why you and." She touched her mouth lightly, "That's why you fought?"

Another nod.

"But I thought-"

"This is embarrassing enough for me, y'know." Natsu looked at her, confusion plain on her face. Sighing, he continued, "You don't need to give me an answer yet, I know you well enough that you'll need time for this kind of thing." He gave her a half-hearted smile. "So I'll just. I'll go and. I." He looked away as his stomach growled again. "I'm gonna go down and get some food, you want anything?"

Lucy shook her head.

"Alright, be sure to think it through and then let me know. I'll make sure you do." He gave her a confident grin as he said the last, and turned and rushed out the door.

Now alone with her thoughts, Lucy returned to the desk and continued her sorting of the papers. After going through about three or four, she placed the stack down and glanced back up at the door, sadness on her face. "Natsu," she whispered, "I thought for sure it was Lisanna that you had fallen for, not me." She buried her face in her hands, "What do I do?"

^_^