Chapter 8

Laxus had taken his time with finding Lucy, not concerned with her being in danger. They were in the middle of a party, what kind of idiot would attack a lone girl this close to so many people?

He had obviously been wrong, as he heard the last fading sounds of struggle. How he had missed it, he didn't know, but he picked up his pace using his lightning to get him there as fast as he could. With worry plain on his face, he came around the corner just as Loke faded back into the Celestial World.

Laxus ran up to the smaller blonde who was giving him a small, but pained, smile. He grabbed her by the shoulders gently, now noticing the small cuts and bruises covering her body, as well as the torn dress.

"Are you alright? What happened?" he asked, extremely worried.

His concern over her made Lucy laugh quietly as she gestured to the prone form of the attacker. "I caught the guy who was after the client. But at the cost of my dress." She sighed, shaking her head lightly, "I liked this one too."

Sighing at the blonde before him, he hugged her close, "Don't do something that crazy. You should call for help if you get attacked." He buried his face in her hair, "Don't fight someone like that alone again."

"But, I wasn't alone," Lucy huffed, unsure how to act as Laxus wasn't being his normal scary self, "I had my spirits here to help me."

He shook his head gently, keeping his face in the blonde mass. He liked the smell of it, even if he wouldn't admit it to the others. There was a strong smell of strawberry to it, and something about that calmed him somewhat.

Lucy patted him on the back awkwardly, unsure what to do next. They stood there for a short time, until more footsteps alerted the pair that others had heard her fight and were arriving to see what the noise was about. Releasing the smaller blonde, Laxus stood protectively by her side as the first of the guests rounded the corner, followed immediately by the other two dragon slayers and the exceeds, as well as the client and his wife.

"What was all the commotion?" The client demanded as he approached the pair.

"We found the person who was threatening you." Lucy said as she fussed with her dress, "He tried to enthrall me with a spell and sneak in the party, and then attacked me when I didn't cooperate." She frowned as the tears swelled.

The client approached the unconscious man, inspecting his face before nodding in approval, "He's the owner of my company's rival, I should have thought him the culprit sooner." He looked up at the pair, "Good work you two, he's a genius businessman, and a formidable wizard as well."

Laxus grinned proudly, wrapping his arm around Lucy's waist, "It was all this one's work, she had already knocked him out by the time I got here."

Lucy looked at him, surprised. She had expected him to try and take some sort of credit for her victory. She blinked once, noticing his expectant glances, and silent push for her to speak up. "Oh!" She squeaked, "Yeah, it's no big deal." She said, glancing away in a slight embarrassment. "My friends did all the work really." She smiled as she gripped her keys

"No big deal!?" The client said, emphasizing his words, "No big deal would not be the way to describe this. You saved my event from disaster, that is a big deal. And for that you have my thanks." He bowed courtly, his wife, curtsying, said her thanks as well.

Lucy waved her hand, keeping her grip on her keys and torn dress. "It's quite alright, I'm just doing my job." She smiled at the couple, "But I would like to insist that we continue the party after the guards take him away."

"But of course!" The client shouted, sweeping his arm up quickly, He directed his attention to the crowd behind him, "Now that this debacle is over, let us all return to the ballroom and pick up the merriment where we had left it off, eh?"