Chapter 16

The night was starting to creep in, and the air began to cool. It wasn't too late, although the dark sky had already eaten up most of the quickly receding light, and the western horizon was a beautiful array of oranges and purples. A girl watched the sky with wondering eyes, before the man sitting beside her drew her attention away from the display.

"Are you feeling better?" Laxus asked.

The girl nodded, "Much." She paused taking a sip of water from a bottle she was holding before continuing, "Thank you, mister, for helping me."

"No problem." Laxus leaned back on the park bench, reviewing what had just occurred.

He had been walking home from the guild hall, grumpy and ready to fight even though he was still tired from his match against Natsu. He had taken the familiar roads that lead to his home like he always did when he had heard a cry for help.

Set to alert, Laxus had run in the direction of the scream, and had found a girl being attacked by some men. He had charged in, lightning flashing and had finished off the group in seconds flat. Turning to check if the girl was uninjured he instead found large terrified eyes staring up at him for a moment before they snapped shut, the body they belonged to falling to the ground. Laxus didn't know what to do, so in a panic he scooped her up and took her to a nearby bench. Laying her down he found a shop and got some water for her.

By the time he returned to the bench the girl had awoken, and was staring at her savior, shaking slightly, fear in her black eyes. Her blue hair stuck to her face in spots where tears had been, and her eyes were puffy and red. Laxus handed her the water bottle, before seating himself beside her.

"Why did they attack you-" He stopped, hoping she would fill in a name or something.

"Crystal." She said shakily, "And I don't know. I was walking home from work when they jumped me."

"Did they say anything specific?"

She shook her head. Taking a large gulp of water, and finishing off the bottle, Crystal stood up. She turned and bowed to Laxus, "Thank you again sir. You really helped me out of a tough spot." She smiled at him gratefully.

"Like I said, it was no problem," He pushed himself off the bench, "At least let me escort you home, a lady like you shouldn't be walking alone this late."

Her eyes widened, "You would? Thank you so much." She said bowing again.

The pair walked down the road in a comfortable silence before Laxus spoke up, "My name's Laxus, if you were wondering. I'm from-"

"Fairy Tail, right?" She finished, glancing at him.

"Yeah, guess you've heard of me." He smirked at his companion.

"Of course I have. I've been a fan of yours since I was little." Crystal giggled, "I always dreamed of joining Fairy Tail, but I'm not what you'd consider a good wizard." She shook her head, "The only magic I'm good at isn't suited for something like a legal guild, and I'm not about becoming a criminal. Soo.." She trailed off awkwardly.

Laxus patted her on the back, "You're welcome anytime, I'm sure my gramps would be thrilled to have another lady join the guild now that we're back to full power." He spoke in a boasting manner, proud of his guild.

The pair continued chatting about different events of Fairy Tail as they walked, but a sight caught Laxus's attention, causing him to stop in mid sentence. "Is everything alright?" Crystal asked, looking to see what he was so focused on.

Sitting at a table on the outside serving area of a restaurant was Natsu and Lucy. The two were chatting happily, and enjoying a meal together.

"Aren't they from Fairy Tail too?" Crystal asked, "It looks like they're on a date, how cute."

A spark jumped from Laxus's arm, zapping his companion lighting, surprising her. He grit his teeth, and went to leave, but his legs wouldn't listen. He was practically burning from jealousy. "Why?" He asked himself, "Why are they out having dinner together?"

"They are partners aren't they?" Crystal answered, not knowing she wasn't supposed to hear that. "You're not jealous of them are you? You don't strike me as that type of guy."

Laxus glared at her, causing the girl to shrink back. She put her hands up in front of her face, "Alright, I get it, it was a rhetorical question." She smiled awkwardly at him, "You know, my place is just down the street, I'll head home on my own now."

This surprised him, pulling his attention away from Lucy, "Are you sure?"

"Yep," She cheered and pointed to an apartment building about six houses away from them, "You could come with me, if you'd like. I could." She blushed, "I dunno, thank you properly." She took a few steps away from him, holding out her hand. "Well?"

"Hey, Laxus?" A shout from behind him made him turn and see Lucy and Natsu looking at him, both with smiles on their faces. He waved awkwardly at the pair, and they began to motion for him to come over to their table.

He turned back to Crystal, who was watching him expectantly, "You know what. I think I'll pass. I got plans."

She frowned, "Alright. It's your loss." She waved at him as she left. Turning her back to him she made her way to the building she was pointing at and entered, "Your loss, you could have gotten over her if you came with me." She muttered closing the door.

Laxus watched her go, before heading to his guildmates. "What's up?"

"Who was that girl? She was awfully pretty." Lucy teased, "Did she confess to you or something?"

Laxus shook his head, and pulled up a chair to join them, "No idea. Just met her when she needed some help. That's all. What about you two?" He raised an eyebrow at the grinning fire dragon slayer.

"Having the best dinner I've had in a while." Natsu cheered. "Have some, it's good."

"Don't mind if I do." Laxus replied, taking a piece from each of their plates while Lucy waved over the waiter to order more food.

"What would you like, ma'am?" He asked as he approached the table.

"Another of this, and can I get a refill on my drink?"

The waiter nodded, taking note of the order.

"Can I get a beer?" Laxus asked, earning a look from Lucy, "What? I like my alcohol. It's no big deal."

She shook her head laughing lightly. Never had she pictured that the three of them would have a meal together like this. "And a beer for him." She told the waiter, who nodded and rushed off to fetch the items they ordered.

For the rest of the night the trio chatted happily and ate and drank their fill before heading home for the night.

^_^

Author's notes

Only Crystal is my character, All other named characters are property of Hiro Mashima from his series, Fairy Tail.

This is meant to be a fan fiction, written by me, for entertainment purposes only.

A quick story behind Crystal! real real quick, I wanted to have an antagonist of sorts in here and it didn't feel right having it be anybody from Fairy Tail or Sabertooth so I just added my own. She's tall, pale with long (like butt length) dark blue hair and pitch black eyes and is pretty much always wearing skimpy clothes, which are normally black and white. That's all I feel needs to be known about her at this time.

×××××