Chapter 26

"Go after him? How?"

After the pair had disappeared the spell had lifted completely. And while the guild hall was quite the mess, nearly everyone was unhurt. But even with the knowledge that the guild was alright made the fact that one member was gone all the more unnerving. Crystal could have killed them all where they stood, and the fact that there was barely a scratch, and no permanent damage to the guild hall, caused even greater worries that the girl had been most likely planning on keeping them alive to achieve her goal.

"Why did she take him with her?" Another asked, receiving a shrug from the guild mate they were speaking with.

"For whatever she planned. You heard her, she hates our guild for some reason." The speaker shook their head.

"She went after Lucy first, Laxus only got taken 'cause he saved her." Happy chimed in. He was sitting next to a grumbling Natsu, neither of the pair attempting to help clean up.

"Why did she want Lucy?" This question was answered with more shrugs and a few hmms as people wondered on the evil wizard's motive.

Lucy looked blankly at the speakers from across the room. She gripped her hands together, concern filling her. She felt as if this was all her fault, Laxus was kidnapped, the guild was in such disorder. The guilt making her stomach turn. She leaned forward, cupping her head in her hands as she went over what had happened, tried to think of something she could have done differently so he wouldn't've been taken.

"Wendy?" Gray looked at the dragonslayer in question as the girl stomped across the hall toward her friend. They had been both helping Mirajane clean up the mess, and had heard the chatter, as well as seen how all this was affecting Lucy. But after a short time Wendy couldn't just stand there and listen to the blame and confusion being tossed around.

Wendy headed straight to the brooding celestial wizard, dodging around the other guild members with ease. "Lucy?" She spoke, her voice soft and full of worry. "Laxus will be alright. He's one of the strongest of us remember." She smiled as the blonde lifted her head to regard her.

Sniffing, Lucy nodded, fighting back tears that threatened to escape. But then she shook her head as the guilt took hold once more. "It's my fault. I mean, I should have done something, gotten through the files faster. Pushed him out of the way. Done something, anything, and he would still be here."

"And then what?" Natsu asked, his face serious. It hurt him to see his friend so upset, " If you would've pushed him out of the way you would've been taken instead."

"So? At least it wouldn't be so much of a bother if I were gone. I'm not as strong as he is, you all know it. I could-"

"Could what?!" Natsu snapped. He noted the looks he began receiving, and the murderous aura Erza was emitting from across the hall. Quieting himself, he continued, "If you had been the one to be taken then we'd be even worse off. Laxus would have blasted off after you in a heartbeat leaving us with no way to help you. And then you both would be gone and..." He looked down as he trailed off.

Wendy looked up at him in interest, before adding in, "Besides, Crystal was after you for something. If she would've gotten you instead it may have been very bad immediately rather than giving us some time to plan and figure out a way to stop her."

Erza had made her way over by then, seating herself next to Lucy, and place a hand on her comfortingly. "You heard her, Laxus is strong, he'll be fine until we find him, I'm sure of it."

"Lucy, please don't worry. I'll sniff him out, you know I can." Natsu said, his voice unusually quiet.

She nodded, giving him a half smile, trying to appear convinced but her best friend saw right through it. "I know. You guys are right." She looked down at her hands again, frowning sadly, "But I can't help but worry, I mean it was because he was trying to help me, so it's only natural that I feel like this, right?"

Natsu sighed, "Lucy. Whether or not you were the intended target, or someone else was, Laxus would've protected you as much as I would. He loves you, like I do, maybe more so." He stared at her, his usual light dimming slightly as he spoke before returning in full force, "So you know he'll be fine and he's likely fighting tooth and nail to get back to us. We're his family after all." He grinned and held one of the blonde's hands.

Erza watched him with interest, a light smile on her face. She had noted how he had admitted Laxus's feelings for Lucy with clear sadness on his face, saw that and knew he didn't want to admit that he felt guilty himself for not being the one to protect her from harm. Guilty that he wasn't the one to take the brunt of the attack and rise up and save everyone. Natsu held the safety of the guild above his own, and Lucy's safety even above that, so for him to see her worry so much over it, really struck him hard. His rival and idol had protected the one he cared for most, and his friend had been to the one to release the guild from their restraints, while he just hung there, attempting to catch the woman on fire with his mind. Natsu was now driven to take action. Erza worried that he may just run off on his own.

"Thank you." Lucy gave him a sad smile, "I know. I know why he did what he did, though I still feel that it should've been me, but you're right. I hope I can count on you to find him, Natsu."

Natsu's grin widened, "Of course!" He said, as he smacked his fist against his chest, "You can count on me."

^_^