Chapter 6

Wendy gently tapped Laxus on the side, trying to get his attention.

×××××

The pair stopped as Wendy spoke up softly. "Can you." She smiled lightly, unsure how to word it correctly, "can you dance with me? Show me how to dance like that?" She glanced down, "if you don't mind, that is, Laxus?"

He smiled at her, patting her on the head gently, "of course." He glanced at Lucy, "if that's all right with you, Lucy"

Lucy nodded, "of course, I think I'd like to sit for a bit anyway." She smiled at the two dragon slayers before making her way to where Natsu was still half attempting to mimic the dance style he had seen. Laughing quietly to herself, Lucy approached the fumbling wizard, "not like that. You have to move this foot first before you turn."

Natsu jumped, having not fully noticed his friend's presence. He eyed her questioningly before doing as she instructed, this time managing to complete the step he was attempting.

His eyes widened in amazement, turning his head to quickly look at the girl, "thanks Luce!" He then bowed how Laxus had done earlier, "may I cut in?"

Lucy laughed, "you're supposed to say that when you interrupt someone who was already dancing with someone else, dummy."

Natsu looked up at her, while still in a bow, pouting slightly. "Fine." He said straightening up, "dance with me again, Luce." He tried to keep a serious, near defiant, look to him but Lucy wasn't able to see him as such. He appeared more as the usual 'I made a mistake but I won't admit that it wasn't part of my plan' guy that she liked.

She paused that thought, she liked him right? As a friend, of course, but was it more? She wasn't sure. Yeah he had been there for her so many times, saving her from so many dangers. But it was because they were such close friends! She thought back to what Laxus had said earlier, that there were people who really loved her. Did he mean Natsu?

"Luce?" Natsu asked, snapping Lucy out of her thoughts.

She took his hand, smiling widely, "let's." she said as she shook the quick thought that Laxus had been speaking of himself rather than Natsu and even Gray[K1] . 'Laxus' [K2] older than me, and would likely prefer a more mature girl than me.' She thought.

Natsu took her hand in his carefully, standing in front of her trying to find the right steps again. He was still pretty off from the music, but he wasn't stepping on Lucy's feet anymore. That was an improvement. Lucy sighed lightly as thoughts ran through her mind. The many small events that could be signs that Laxus liked her. 'Of course he likes me', she thought, 'I'm a likable person.'

"Is everything okay?" Natsu asked, clearly noticing that his friend was distracted by something.

Lucy looked at him askance[K3] as she pulled herself from her thoughts, "Yeah, I'm fine." She smiled at him, "I just have some things on my mind lately."

"Like what? You can tell me."

Lucy blushed a little, glancing away as she debated whether or not to tell him or not, "I've just been thinking about a comment Laxus had made earlier. That there are people who like me."

Natsu's eyes widened slightly, "Of course there are, Lucy!" He grinned cheerfully, "Everyone in the guild does for sure! And there's Yukino and the other two from Sabertooth. I'm sure they like you too. And. And, those flirts from Blue Pegasus. And..."

Lucy giggled, putting a finger to his mouth to get him to stop rambling. "I mean the type of like, that's more than friends." Her blush hadn't faded, "Like how Loke always tells me how much he's in love with me. That kind of like."

Natsu registered what she had meant, and stole a quick glance at Laxus who was still guiding Wendy through the various dance steps. A blush covered his face as he thought of what she had just said.

"When Laxus had said there're people who like me, I think he may have been talking about himself. But how he worded it... It sounded like it was meant to be plural, as in there's more than one person who likes me." She looked down, trying to hide her pervasive blush. "Are y-" She gulped slightly, "Do you like me? Like that?"

They had stopped dancing, and were standing in the middle of the room, Laxus and Wendy looked at the pair, concern in their eyes. Natsu just stood there, unsure on what to say.

"I." He paused, "[K4] I don't know." He looked at her, "I never really thought of it."

This struck Lucy like she had just been stabbed. Some tears formed at the corners of her eyes. She shook her head lightly, laughing quietly, "I'm kidding, Natsu. Don't worry about it." She smiled awkwardly at him, "It was a stupid thing to ask. We're best friends after all, I shouldn't have said it." Her smile faltered slightly, she broke from his grip before he could say anything. "I'm going to get some fresh air." She then lifted her skirts and rushed off the floor, not noticing that people were watching her.

Laxus marched up to Natsu, Wendy trailing behind him worriedly. He postured himself as threateningly as possible before the fire dragon slayer, "What did you do?" he thundered at the shorter male. Natsu looked up at him, clearly confused. Laxus softened his expression slightly, he only wanted answers, and threatening Natsu now would only create a fight.

Wendy sneaked her way forward, hiding behind the towering blonde slightly before speaking. "What were you talking about?" She asked quietly, so only the three of them could hear.

Natsu shook his head, "She was saying that Laxus said something about people liking her. And asked if I was one of them. That liked her like Loke does." He glanced at the door his friend had passed through seconds prior.

"And what did you tell her?" Laxus asked, trying to keep quiet, as he noted people watching the trio. He motioned to the side of the room, "Let's get off the dance floor. We don't need to be the center of attention at someone else's party."

The other two nodded, and went to the far wall before Natsu answered the question. "I told her I didn't know." He shook his head again, "Then she left like that, you saw that much." He looked at the pair before him, clearly confused at what he did that would have upset the celestial mage.

Laxus sighed dramatically, Wendy shook her head. "Of course she was upset." He muttered.

Natsu was taken aback, "She said it was okay."

Wendy huffed, "She was obviously lying, saying something like that to a girl is plain mean."

Laxus patted Wendy on the head, sighing again, "I'll go talk to her, we have the mission to take care of still, we all need a clear head for this." He glared at Natsu, "And if I hear that you broke her heart. You'll be the one hearing from me."

With that said he exit the room, heading to where he thought the celestial wizard may have gone.

^_^