Chapter 3

The train ride seemed to last an eternity, but the group finally arrived at the station, much to the relief of the two dragon slayers. Laxus, who had handled the journey better than Natsu, carried said dragon slayer off of the train before it left. Once more on solid ground, the fire dragon slayer recovered at breakneck speed.

Sighing at her crazy friend, who had begun running around looking at the various shops of food set up nearby. Lucy grabbed the handle of her bag and tipped it so it rested on its small wheels. She looked up at the grumbling blonde next to her and smiled warmly. Grabbing his hand carefully she began walking, dragging her bag and her complaining companion behind her.

Quickly falling into step, Laxus walked next to Lucy eyeing Natsu with interest. "Is he always like this?"

Lucy giggled, "Only when there something interesting going on." She paused. "I think he's happy you came along with us."

Glancing down at her, Laxus blushed lightly before looking away nodding. The dragon slayer in question overheard a bit of their conversation and jogged up to the pair, Happy flying next to him. Noting the two holding hands, Natsu raised an eyebrow, his smile disappearing.

"The client's place is up ahead. Let's go meet the guy." The wide grin returned as he spoke, and he hoped that his companions hadn't noticed his prior reaction.

"Shouldn't we find a place to sleep first?" Asked Laxus.

Lucy nodded in agreement but Natsu waved off their concern, "We'll have plenty of time to do that after we meet the client." He practically beamed at the pair, "right Happy?"

"Aye!" The cat cheerfully agreed.

Lucy shook her head in exasperation, "If there's a party tonight, the hotels will fill up quickly."

"Stop your worrying! Let's go!" Natsu gleefully said, reaching down and grabbing both blondes by their hand, breaking the pair's loose link. He pulled both down the street and up to the residence detailed in the request.

Releasing his death grip Natsu went up and banged his hand on the door. Lucy rubbed her wrist lightly as she noted a red mark around her wrist, glancing at Laxus she noted he too had a light mark, although he made no effort to sooth the sting. The door unlocked and a small maid ushered the group in.

"You are the wizards from Fairy Tail, correct?" She asked in a quiet mousey voice.

"You bet we are!" Natsu exclaimed excitedly.

"Then you wouldn't mind showing me your marks so I can be sure. Correct?" A low commanding voice spoke as a figure made his way into the room that the group stood in.

"Of course we can." Lucy piped in, turning her hand to show the pink mark to the man. "Are you the client?" She asked as he checked her mark.

"Yes. I am." He stated flatly as he checked Natsu's mark on his shoulder. "I do recall requesting pairs though. Not three wizards and a cat." He continued as he checked Happy's mark on his back. Making his way to Laxus, who had made no attempt to show his mark, he narrowed his eyes at the taller man. "And you?"

Laxus tsked, "I've rarely seen clients inspect marks for fakes before. In fact the only times I have seen it were on s-class missions. What are you hiding?"

The man sighed, pulling out a pair of glasses and placing them on his face, "I have had times that wizards from dark guilds have posed as those not of their ilk. Call me paranoid if you will, but I'd prefer to be completely sure I got the wizards from the guild I received a response from." He paused frowning, "now show me your mark or get out of my home."

Laxus stared down at the man before sighing and undoing the buttons of his shirt. Pulling it open he revealed his muscled chest as well as the tattoos sprawled across the left side from his shoulder down. Right below his heart sat the Fairy Tail mark which the client inspected before pulling back and walking away. "Come with me so I can tell you my plan and what I'd like you to do."

The group nodded and followed after, Laxus fixing his shirt as they went. Seating themselves on a velvet couch across from the client, the group heard the story behind the event. "A celebration of my wife's work, and involvement in the city." He described it as.

Laxus knit his eyebrows together thinking over what they were told. "And you think a rogue wizard may attack you or your wife?" He asked.

The client nodded once, stopped, and shook his head. "I am not concerned over whether or not my life is targeted specifically. Rather, I am worried over putting my wife and the guests lives in danger because someone may be after me." He looked down at his feet, and clasped his hands together in front of him. "Will you help me still? Even after hearing all that?" He asked looking up pleadingly at the wizards seated before him.

They all nodded, Natsu and Lucy smiling at him warmly.

"Of course we will, especially after you told us all that." Natsu confirmed, jumping to his feet, ready to take on this mysterious foe. The other two rose to their feet, albeit with less enthusiasm than Natsu, and confirmed they too would assist.

Thanking the wizards before him, the client escorted them out, reminding them that the party starts at 7 pm sharp so to arrive early. Nodding and saying their farewells the group made their way off the property to the street where they received directions to the nearest hotel.

Glancing at a street clock Lucy noted they had only 4 hours until the party. Hoping there was still vacancy Laxus went to the front desk to request two rooms. Lucy and Natsu waited closer to the door and discussed the mission as they waited.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN 'NO VACANCY'?" Laxus shouted, surprising the chatting pair.

Walking over to the dragon slayer, they overheard the desk worker attempting to calm the large angry man before him. "We filled up the last room about an hour or two ago to a young girl and a cat. We have no more space unfortunately sir! I'm very sorry sir!" The frightened man stuttered out this as well as a stream of apologies to the fuming dragon slayer who had started to emit sparks.

Sighing, Lucy placed a hand on Laxus' shoulder much like he had done for her, hoping it would have a similar effect. Watching lighting dance across her hand, she gripped lightly staring at him, a small frown forming. Laxus looked at the smaller blonde, his rage fizzling. He turned away from the desk in a huff, shaking her hand from his shoulder.

Natsu watched the two, furrowing his brows slightly. Something the cowardly man had said before stuck out. A young girl... with a cat? Turning to watch Laxus storm out the door, Natsu reached over and held Lucy's hand comfortingly, gripping it lightly. Returning the grip, they proceeded after their companion, Happy trailing along behind them.

A small thump caught their attention, as well as a squeaky apology. Releasing each other's hands, Natsu and Lucy jogged up to where the sound had come from. A small form had accidentally run into Laxus and had fallen onto their butt. The voice was painstakingly familiar, and as they approached the now kneeling dragon slayer they had found the reason. Laxus helped Wendy to her feet, apologizing to the little dragon slayer as Carla berated him for not looking where he was going. Now on her feet Wendy noticed Laxus' companions.

"You guys!" Wendy cheered, running up to Natsu and hugging him warmly.

Returning the hug Natsu smiled, "What are you doing here Wendy?"

^_^