Chapter 9

The small maid had quietly made her way to the small gathering of wizards near the buffet table, where Natsu was currently stuffing his face. Wendy greeted the woman warmly, as she was the first to notice her presence. She smiled lightly at the group of dragon slayers, and courtly handed the coats to Laxus, since he was currently not preoccupied by anything. The maid then curtsied before hurrying off, and exited the ballroom.

"Quite the busy one, isn't she." Wendy said cheerfully. She eyed the tall blonde near her, as he tossed one of the coats to Natsu who had paused his eating.

Pulling on his own coat, Laxus nodded, "She must've helped Blondie with," He waved his hand in a noncommittal manner, "whatever those two ladies are doing up there."

"You mean getting non ripped clothes?" Wendy asked.

"Yeah, that." Laxus looked away, clearly not interested in the way the conversation was going. What did he care what she wore, she looked stunning in everything. He shook his head to clear his thoughts, startling Wendy slightly.

Natsu laughed at him, somehow knowing just what Laxus was picturing. "Yeah, I don't get the big deal about her wearing that other dress either, but you know how she is."

Wendy nodded in agreement, completely aware on how concerned Lucy could get about her looks. It's not that Wendy didn't care, but she didn't focus on it as much as her friend did.

Their small conversation ended as the doorway where the client and his wife had entered the ballroom from hours prior slid open. The client's wife was the first to emerge, making her way quickly to her husband's side. She whispered something into his ear, which caused him to widen his eyes and a small grin spread across his face. He nodded to his wife, as she returned to the door and ushered through a clearly embarrassed Lucy.

Upon seeing Lucy in the new dress, both Laxus and Natsu's jaws dropped, Natsu dropping a piece of food that had nearly made its way to his open mouth. Wendy clapped in joy as Lucy made her way to the group. She was blushing as she went up to Laxus, and took his hand.

She led the speechless man to the dance floor, whispering to him as they walked, "The missus asked me to dance with my 'boyfriend' alongside her and her husband for the next song."

"Why did you take me then?" Laxus asked quietly, not entirely sure on their relationship. He was pretty sure that she didn't have a boyfriend, especially with how protective Natsu was of her, but he thought she would've chosen the flame brain since they were partners and all.

"It's a tango." She replied flatly.

"Ah." Of course she would choose him then, Natsu could barely dance, it was doubtful he could manage a tango. "Wait, tango?" He asked as they approached the client and his wife.

"Yes yes!" The lady cheered, "We love the tango, and since you helped us so much, we decided that you should join us for the start of the dance. Didn't we dear?" The husband nodded, smiling. He didn't say anything, but he didn't seem to mind his wife's idea. She whispered in his ear, "Aren't they cute, it's like how we were when we were their age."

Lucy didn't hear her comment to her husband, but Laxus did. He smiled proudly that they thought the two blondes were so close. He had hinted at his feelings for the smaller blonde a few times during the course of the mission, but it still wasn't clear to him whether or not they were reciprocated.

Lucy made no sign of how she felt, aside for asking Natsu how he felt about her. For all Laxus knew, Lucy had no clue as to where his heart lay. For the record, neither had he until just the other day. Sure she was attractive, and he had joked about making her his woman, but when he saw her running from the drunks the night prior, he could feel his heart skip a beat when he saw the fear in her eyes. He wanted to protect her, not that she really needed it, he had seen how she could fight, but something about her made the dragon slayer want to be by her side, wherever she went.

The music started, and both pairs of dancers stood ready, Laxus still running his worries through his mind. How did he feel about her? He had brought up the topic of the celestial wizard with Mira after the Grand Magic Games, asking her various things about the young blonde. Mira had giggled at his questions, answering them to the best of her knowledge. He had asked everything, from how many keys she had, to how many boyfriends. Although the last was a question he regretted asking the takeover mage. Mira had widened her eyes, then quickly narrowed them in a devilish manner befitting her magic. She had giggled evilly as she told him how Lucy had never dated. That had surprised him, such a pretty girl, and yet she never went on a date. He had gasped quietly as he realized that meant she was about as pure as they come. He had leaned on the bar, asking Mira more questions, ignoring the look he got from the Thunder God Tribe.

Had she kissed anyone? He had asked, Mira merely shrugged at him, saying she had no idea. Laxus relaxed on the bar stool, he stopped his incessant questions, apologizing awkwardly to Mira for his strange actions. The white haired girl merely smiled at him, leaning on her elbows and pointed playfully at the blonde. 'That's how people get when they fall in love with someone.' she had said.

Then a few weeks later he had run into Lucy on the street, and had helped her, which lead to his current position.

Love, he mused as the pair of blondes danced in perfect unison, even with his constant thought he still hadn't been distracted from the dance. If that's what he felt, he knew that he had to let her know. He was sure Natsu felt something for the celestial wizard, since he would sneak into her house constantly. But he figured the fire wizard's heart likely lay with the youngest of the Strauss siblings who had returned to the guild after years of being thought dead. But even then he wasn't entirely sure.

The dance neared its end, and Laxus prepared himself for what he'd do next. He thought back to his conversation with Mira, and assured himself that he was ready to tell her. It still made him nervous, which he berated himself over, he was the strongest in the guild, he wasn't scared to face anything in battle, so why would someone so great get nervous with something so small?

The dance ended, the music shifting to something else, classical, with a faster beat. The pairs bowed to the clapping crowd, but before Lucy could leave the dance floor, Laxus had swept her into a soft hug. He held her face, leaning in. Lucy blushed fiercely, as she looked in his eyes.

"I." He stopped, their noses were pretty much touching, and Laxus could feel the glare from Natsu burning into his back. "I love you." He said quietly, closing the distance between them, and kissing her full on the lips.

Lucy's eyes widened, but she didn't push away. A cheer went up in the crowd, and various "awww"s could be heard from the onlookers. After a short time the pair separated, a large smile on Laxus' face, and a timid embarrassed one on Lucy's.

"I." She began, but Laxus cut her off.

"You don't have to reply. Think about it." He said confidently before making his way across the room. He exited the ballroom, likely going outside to get some fresh air. Natsu followed after him, rage on his face and a faint aura of fire washing over his body.

Wendy raced up to the bewildered Lucy who was now receiving congratulations from various guests. A soft slap on the back with a small smile came from the client's wife as the pair made their way to the buffet table.

Wendy smiled up at Lucy, "I had no idea he felt that way about you!" She cheered.

Lucy shook her head, still surprised by it, "Neither did I." She looked at the door, "I hope Natsu doesn't do something stupid because of that. I have a bad feeling he will."

Wendy followed her gaze, her smile faltering slightly."I don't know." She said. The pair hoped that he wouldn't do something, but their attention was once again pulled to the surrounding crowd of people, as well as Happy and Carla who flew over, likely to tease the blushing blonde.

^_^