Chapter 12

The train ride home was even more awkward than the one they took the day prior. They had arrived with some time to spare, and had purchased their tickets while they waited for the train to come in. During their wait a small woman rushed up to them holding a medium sized package, the group recognizing her as the maid from the party. She had handed it over with practiced formality before curtsying and rushing away.

Lucy had opened it once they were seated on the train, finding her dress, that had ripped during the fight the previous night, mended and cleaned. Inside was also a medium sized bag of money and some various gift packages with notes attached. Wendy had joked how it was like Santa's sack of presents, giving the group a good laugh before the train jerked into motion, sending two of the dragon slayers reeling. Seeing as neither could do much in their current situation, Natsu especially so, the group decided to inspect the rest of the gifts when they returned to the guild.

Silence had pervaded the side car they had shared, as Natsu attempted to sleep on the one bench, and Wendy, Lucy, and Laxus sharing the other, the last of the group continuing his previous attempts at merging with the cold glass windows that he had abandoned the other day. No one spoke, aside from the occasional groan from Natsu when the train hit an especially bumpy spot.

Hours later they had arrived back in Magnolia, Natsu bolting for the doors as soon as the train came to a complete stop, Happy following after him cheerfully. The group headed for the guild, each carrying something, whether it was their own things or not. Bursting the doors open, they announced their return. Mira happily greeted them from behind the bar, and Levy rushed up to Lucy bugging her for information on what had happened. Everyone was clearly happy to see them all return safely.

Laxus, who had been carrying Lucy's suitcase, placed the case on a nearby empty table before heading to where his team sat. Evergreen and Bixlow grinned at him suspiciously as Freed babbled about how he should alert them before he leaves like that.

Lucy smiled gratefully at Laxus, as she saw him grit his teeth at his team's constant chatter and pull out his headphones. She guessed he was trying to drown out their questions with music, but didn't think it would work. Sitting where her bag was placed, she opened the package they had received, and began to rummage through - picking out the random gifts that were scattered in the folds of her dress. As she lined them up, Natsu headed to talk to Gray and Erza about the mission. And if the sudden shouts were any clue, he likely picked a fight with the ice wizard as well. Wendy had headed to the bar, and began chatting with Mira and Lisanna.

Finally digging the last of the gifts out, Lucy arranged them based on the names on the tags. There was at least one thing for everyone on the team, and she couldn't help but marvel at the thoughtfulness of the client. She took the small groups of gifts to each person, handing them one or two, and in Laxus's case, four, wrapped boxes. She giggled, the client and his wife clearly liked him. Wendy had found a small necklace and matching hairpins which she ecstatically put on. Carla had a new ribbon for her tail, and happy a bandana that matched. Huffing quietly, Carla replaced the ribbon on her tail with the new one, and quickly wrapped the bandana around Happy's neck. She had likely hoped no one would notice her actions, but after hearing the soft giggles from the people surrounding her, she knew she had been seen.

Natsu cheered happily at the item he received, a nice sized chunk of what appeared to be dried meats. Lucy shook her head at the dragon slayer, clearly confused as to why he would be that thrilled about overly expensive meat. She left them to enjoy their gifts, returning to the table where Levy now sat, excidedlyexcitedly awaiting her friend. Lucy smiled at her as she sat, inspecting her own small gifts. A slight gasp made her look up towards where the Thunder Legion sat. Laxus had opened his own gifts, and had a look of admiration on his face as he inspected a medium sized bottle of a clearly rare type of alcohol. The other three gifts contained a pair of cufflinks, a tie, and something that he quickly stashed away as soon as he realized people were watching him. Lucy returned her attention to her gifts, finding a new necklace, as well as matching earrings and hair pieces. Levy gasped at the beautiful jewelry before returning to her pestering.