↘︎ chapter forty-seven

47 | The Sirius to her Noelle

Marley Macmillan had never imagined herself to be Аpparated to London and then had to fly with a broom high in the sky. But obviously that happened. The weather was surprisingly cloudy and didn't cause problems for broom rides in broad daylight, but up in the clouds it was very cold and wet. Marley had frozen until they finally secretly landed on an empty alley, with semi-detached houses which looked the same - with dark green (mold-like) walls made of bricks. Some alleys were quite neglected and overgrown with bushes and weeds.

"We're here." announced happily Brielle Macmillan, who didn't seem that cold as Marley and Noen Black. "12 Grimmaulrd Place. Here, take this."

Marley's mother handed her a piece of paper with the address on it. Noen looked behind her shoulder, and they were surprised to see that one of the doors was eleven and the other thirteen. But there wаs no twelve.

"Are you sure--"

"Yes, just think about." said Noelle Black, holding her broomstick in her right hand. "And you'll see it."

For a moment, Marley really thought about that address and imagined that another door could be placed here because there was plenty of space between number eleven and thirteen. And just then, as if by magic, the door of which was written number twelve materialised. Marley chuckled. She and Noen looked at each other, and the two mothers-best-friends led them across the alley and crossed the street, stepping onto the sidewalk and entering the bushed yard.

"Be careful where you step." warned them Brielle and opened the door. She looked around to see if anyone was looking at them, but there were no such misty muggles. After Marley stepped over the threshold, the floorboards creaked beneath her feet, and she swore. The house was narrow and long, extremely dark and looked very neglected. There were cobwebs everywhere, wallpapers were eaten and peeled off walls, curtains were eaten by moths, dust was everywhere.

"This place needs some restoration. Still, many more have to arrive." said Noelle, looking around the place and wiping dust from the surface of a cabinet with her finger. Her whole finger turned grey and dirty.

"This place is gross." stated Noen. "Don't tell me we should clean it. We can't use magic. We're minors. Mom, it's going to take ages."

"We are trying to help as much as we can." assured him Brielle with a soft smile. "But the Order has a lof of work. I'm not sure if this would be possible, but at least you'll meet your friends soon and they'll help you."

"Fantastic." murmured sarcastically Marley and almost stumbled upon in an umbrella, lying on the floor. "What the hell is that doing here? You fucking shit! I could have fell, you shit. I'd probably fall three floors down. While looking at these boards I don't think they hold much." and she leaped slightly, the boards screeching warningly as if they were about to fulfill her wish.

Noen just giggled. And then a scream came from the stairs. Brielle and Noelle looked at each other and exhaled in despair.

"Great, you woke her up." Noelle muttered and went upstairs.

"Who?" Marley asked in amazement, following her godmother up. Brielle and Noen were behind her. Noelle had already climbed the stairs and was on the second floor, greeting a house-elf who was cleaning the frames of different portraits. Marley was sure her godmother called the house-elf Kreacher.

And then she saw a life-sized portrait of a woman with black hat, who was spreading her hands and screaming. That was the most realistic and unpleasant portrait Marley had ever seen in her entire life.

"Shut the fuck up, old hah!" yelled Noelle but the woman continued screaming.

"GET OUT OF MY HOUSE, YOU OLD AND DIRTY DEVILS! GET OUT NOW BEFORE I KILL YOU! GO AWAY! YOU FUCKING COWARDS, GET THE FUCK OUT AND DON'T COME AGAIN!"