Chapter 1: The Beast

Dropped out of college and got a job as a bike courier. Mostly just to piss of my parents. I was someone you ever notice.

Just some guy delivering packages to folks you'd never know. And then one day... a package found me.

Thousands died.

Five square blocks smashed into rubble...

And at the center... was me.

Alive. But not alone.

A kid named Cassandra O'Connell was caught in the blast as well, she should of died along with her parents, but like me...

She was changed.

But no one could of seen what was coming. Back then, Empire city was in quarantine. It had gone to hell.

Other people with powers started showing up, and it was our job to sort it all. Find out who had given me that package, and why.

Hell, even my best friend turned his back on me and tried to get powers of his own. But in the end, we found the man responsible. Kessler.

He explained everything to us in a vision of the future. A Beast is coming. A monster only I and Cassandra can defeat, provided that we're strong and ready to face him.

A month later, we meet Lucy Kuo.

She somehow knew all about the Beast, in fact... She had come and helped us prepare. Claim a friend named Dr. Wolfe, had worked on the Ray Sphere prototype. And that he can amplify our powers.

All we had to do was go with her down to New Marais. We need those powers, The Beast is coming.

And we will be ready.

~8~8~8~

The trio stood on a ship, Cole and Cassandra were leaning against the rails as Zeke walks over to them. "Man, I'll tell ya, Cole, that Agent Kuo? She doesn't mess around, huh? First boat outta town? Chick's got some connections." Zeke states, Cassie covers her ears as she didn't want to ear stuff like that. Cole looks at her for a moment and she uncovers her ears.

"This is going to be a short term visit, man. We're gonna go in, Cassie and I'm gonna get some new powers, and we're gonna come right back." Cole tells the two and Cassandra stood straight and nods at him. Then Cole went to walk away and Cassandra follows him, "Come on, man! You and Cass deserve to relax! We're going to New Marais!" Zeke said in an excited tone. Cole and Cassandra stops and looks at him. "Hey, we need to be back here and ready for when it shows up, Zeke." Cole reminds him as it was no time for fun and games.

Then Kuo walks over to them, "Trust me, Cole. You will be ready when you're done working with Dr. Wolfe." she informs them and Cassandra cross her arms and looks at her. "Work? Ha! Easy Kuo. When getting there, we're gonna be the Three Bs. That's beer... boobs... and mechanical bulls." Zeke states, holding up three fingers. Cassandra covers her mouth to keep herself from laughing as Cole tries and wipes the smirk from his mouth. "Hm hmm. Gentlemen and lady." Kuo states as she jesters to Cassandra and she winks at her "I don't think you understand the scope of what's going on here." she states with her arms cross. Then Cassandra groans and presses her fingers to her temple. The three look at her, "Cass, you okay?" Cole asks and places his hand on her back. "Don't know, my head just started to ache all of a sudden," she answers then groans again as the pain came on stronger.

Then a growl was heard in the distance, Kuo looks out and saw an explosion from the city. "What is going on?" she asks and the other two look over as well. Cassandra cries out a little and grips her head. "He's here... he's coming..." she mutters as Cole held her in his arms. He looks down at her and back at the sudden destruction that was happening. "No! No, no..." Cole mutters and Cassandra exhales as her headache was gone. "Come on Cass!" Cole tells her and they both ran over and jump down from the boat and onto the docks. Then stood up and electricity pulse in their hands. "Uh, MacGrath...we had a deal. The boat's leaving." Kuo reminds him as he calls him through the phone. "Relax, we got time for this," Cole informs her. "Keep the boat there, for as long as you can," Cassandra informs her and they both ran to the gate. "The Quarantine's over!" a man shouts.