Chapter 43: Burning Wells

Cole glides up onto the roof as he lands on his feet, bents over and pants, Cassie lands next to him, collapsing onto her legs and sat there, panting as well. "Fucking hell, the more we take back territory, the more aggressive they get about it." she pants and Cole stood up, stretching his aching bones. "Damn, you'd think they'd take the hint already," he states. Then he looks down at Cassie and offers her hands.

She takes it and he pulls her back to her feet and she stretches as well, "I think they're too thick-headed for anything to get across." she states and he nods right at her. "Right, but have to smack them in the face a few times for it to get across," he states and she laughs a little at him, but then his phone went off and Cole answers it. Laroche was panting on the other end "It's getting a little hard to breath since those ice freaks lit fire to the wells. Hey you and Cassie should be near a good cap, if you use it snuff out the flames we'd all appreciate it." he informs them.

The two exchanged looks and they stood ready and took off running towards the burning well that was not far. "Then we're gonna talk about those blast cores, right?" Cole asks him as Icemen came at them and Cassie fired at them, sending them into the water and she fried them. "Oh, sure... yeah, yeah." Laroche answers and Cole uses Kinetic pulse and lifted the cap and walks over to the well and drops the cap on the well, stopping the fire. "Nice job. Now, we only have the one cap and the next well's halfway across Flood Town." Laroche informs them, Cole rolls his eyes as Cassie face-palms "Oh... fantastic." they both mutter and Cole uses Kinetic pulse again, looking for the smoking rising from the town and sent it flying into the direction of the burning well.

Then they took off after the cap, climbing up onto the houses and ran along with them and jumps from the next roof to the other. Laroche was coughing on his end and this alerts Cassie, causing her to stop and Cole stops as well. "Bellevue's what they called this neighborhood back before the flood. A lot of memories here. I still love this place." he states and Cole looks around Flood and nods. "Yeah, uh... it's got character," he mutters and Cassie covers her mouth, stopping herself from laughing. "Listen, listen. I've gotta be responsible for those people. I got to consider every angle. Those icemen... they were worse than the Militia! I mean, they set fire to the wells. Who would do that." Laroche questions and Cole rolls his eyes.

Cassie exhales and rubs her temple, "Giving me and Cassie the Blast Cores will help the both of us, and now you want to give them to those animals? Have you lost your mind?" Cole questions him as Cassie was pacing. "You and Cassie have done right by us so far. If you can put out these fires, we'll do right by you," he promises them and the call ends. But both exhale and they hurried after the cap that Cole threw a great way.

They make it to the old spot where they first met the ice Heavy, Cassie spotted the cap and walks over to it, Cole looks up at the half-torn building, then ran over to Cassie and grips her arm tightly. She was jerked back and she looks at him in surprise. "Cole?" she asks as he kept his eyes forward and steps back, Cassie looks in front of them as well. "Holy shit," she mutters as she sees one of the icemen, but he was different from the others, his arms and upper body was covered in ice and his skin was blue and cold, ice sparks in his claw hands and he jumps down, slamming his fists down and makes a spiked ice path. "We will be whole!" the man shouts at them "Fuck! Run!" Cole calls out and they both ran for it.

They both of them, build up the side of the building dodged the incoming ice spikes that were thrown at them, "What the hell?!" Cassie shouts as she took cover "Stay calm! We'll figure this out!" Cole calls out as he scrambles back into cover. "Any ideas?" she calls out and Cole looks out at the iceman, "Threw sticky grenades at him. It should help weaken him." he calls out.