Chapter 18: Jail Break & Crossfire

The Beast is 1132 miles away from New Marais

Cassie exhales as they walk down the street, Cole looks at her as he saw that she was thinking of something, "Cassie, you okay?" he asks her and she just looks at him, "Well a lot of things are on my mind, mostly Bertrand." she states, he tilts his head at her, "Well, you know how I said that you may have thought of us as angels?" she asks him, he nods at her, "And at his Speech, he called you the devil and me your spawn?" she asks him again, "Yeah, he must think us the be evil because he's scared of us." he states, but Cassie shook her head "But there was no fear in his eyes when he looked at us." she states and he looks back at her.

"What do you mean?" he asks as they walk into the alley, "Well, when he glared at us on top of his limo. He was looking at us with fear, more like... he was angry with us." she answers him. He thinks to himself and remembers the look in Bertrand's eyes. "Huh, you're right. But why is he angry with us?" he asks her and she just shrugs at him, "Don't know, I'm still trying to figure that part out." she informs him, then they heard a whistle, look ahead of them and saw an officer waving at them, so the jog over and stood in front of him, "Do you need help, sir?" Cassie asks him, Cole smiles at her, happy that she's still polite. "They captured half the force, and now they're waiting for the firing squad. We have to get them out." he panics then Cassie grips his arms, "Whoa, whoa, whoa. Calm down. We will save them and stop that before it happens." she assures him. He looks at her and nods, "Okay." he mutters, "Show us the way." she tells him, he nods and she lets him go. "I called for back-up. This way." he tells them and ran past them.

The two turned and then hurried after him, they ran down the alley and met up with the other cops. "Where are they?" Cassie asks one and he pointed down the street. "Alright, let's move!" Cole said to them and they all took off running out of the alley, down the street. Making it to the curve and Cole fires at the Militia as Cassie threw grenades that them. This sends the Militia flying back and Cole then jumps up onto the cage as Cassie ran around, pinning any survivors to the ground, Cole pulls out his Amp, then stick it into the power box onto the top, pushes it forward then the cage burst open. "You two pretty much saved the whole precinct! We won't forget this." an officer tells them, the two nods at him, then Cole places his weapon back on his pack, jump down and both he and Cassie took off down the street.

~8~8~8~

They both sat on top of the train cab as it drove down the rails that were in the ground. "This kinda reminds me of the trains back in Empire city." she giggles. Cole looks at her and chuckles, "Yeah, but it has less wind attacking your face and doesn't block out any other sounds." he informs her and she shrugs at him. "True." she mutters, "Oh I've been meaning to ask." he states and she looks at him "Why did you get a headache at Bertrand's speech?" he asks her, she just shrugs. "Don't know, maybe when I got that new upgrade when we were captured by Moira I might have also unlocked a new power, like sense other conduits, and there's my theory about that. The more powerful the Conduit, the more painful the migraine will be, but you're powerful too and it doesn't hurt that much." she states and he nods at her, "Must mean you're just used to me." he jokes.

Cassie laughs a little at him, then they arrived at the park. The two stood up and jumps down and walk to the park, "But at that Speech, there was a powerful conduit there, and it wasn't one of those monsters we fought." she tells him and he nods at him, "I see, whatever or whoever that powerful conduit is, we should keep our wits about us." she informs him, he nods at her then they heard a woman shouting at them. They jog over to her and step in front of her, "They turned that park into World War III! A lot of innocent people are gonna die!" she cries, Cassie rubs her shoulder and assures her that they will stop it.

She then looks at Cole, he nods at her and they ran for the park. "You take that tree, I'll take this one!" he informs her, she nods at him and then they both ran to the tall trees on either side, they jump and climbed up them, then they aim and fired their bolts, Cole took out the Militia on the ground, repeatedly firing bolts out them, sending them right off their feet as Cassie took out the monster, making them fly off their feet and smack hard against the ground. Then they turn their attention on the man that was firing the RPG on the roof, they both frowned at him, not at all impressed with him, so their raise their hands to him and fired. He grunts and loosed his grip on his weapon, it smacks against the ground and then he was sent falling down. Cassie laughs at that and they both looked down at the Reaver as it was trying to reach them, both they threw sticky bombs at it, making it whimper in pain, then Cassie jumps of the tree, glides over above it and then she does a thundering slam right on top of it.

The things whimpers and pain as Cassie backflips away, then Cole jumps out from his tree, glides over above it and does a thundering slam as well. The creature cries out as well and slums against the ground, dead. People gathered around as Cassie ran up to Cole, they both were panting and then they look at each other and exhales. Cole raised his fist to her, she looks at him, chuckles then pound her fist against his. Then he throws his arm on her shoulder and they both walk away, but not without a few of the people cheering for them.