𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑. 𝟐

Adeline's POV

𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐓 𝐎𝐅 dinner we focused on Blaire's storytime about some weirdo in her lecture, before Angelo boasted about his never-ending streak when versing his friends on Legend of Zelda last night. I kept my mouth shut for the rest of the meal, only laughing and occasionally sliding in comments.

My mom still brought up Josh a couple times but Blaire made sure to steer the conversation back to her soon enough. Eventually, we cleared the table and I gathered both meddlers into the living room, an irritated look plastered on my face.

No one said anything for a few moments, Blaire looked guilty however my dork of a brother was still smirking.

"Okay can someone tell me what the hell just happened and what the hell I'm supposed to do now?" I asked with my arms crossed.

"Listen don't worry Addie, it's not that big of a deal. I thought that if I mentioned someone was in your life, your mom would back off - but hey it did work...for like seven seconds" Blaire defended and I nodded, "and - the food was just sitting there and I wanted to eat" she then added and I huffed.

It was true, Mom was happy with the white lie and we could've kept it vague until she moved on, but then I shot my eyes at the guy who ruined the spontaneous plan.

"It would've been something, if Geli didn't say it was Joshua fucking Bassett" I yelled. I then gasped as I swore in front of my little brother, Blaire slapped my shoulder but Angelo laughed with victory.

"Hah! You owe me another dollar" he retorted and I rolled my eyes. I was in debt from this deal - a deal Mom made for our swearing.

"Damnit, but come on dude why'd you have to give a face to the lie - a famous one at that! Now she actually cares about who it is," I stressed and I could see a twinge of guilt in his face, but it was still amusing to him.

"Alright fine sorry I guess, I didn't think it'd be that deep - like come on it's hilarious: Adeline being the girlfriend of Joshua Bassett" he said with a laugh, I then heard Blaire snicker next to me and she pursed her lips shut when I glared at her.

"Okay in the moment it seemed more realistic for you to just mention a human in question -"

"Yeah but not the celebrity that Boba put on my lock screen, and besides how did you know he was back in San Diego for his album" I then asked and he shrugged.

"This isn't the Adeline show - you're not the only one who watches Josh's instagram stories, there's about 2 million others" he said snarkily and I let out a small laugh.

"Okay we're getting off topic, Addie don't worry. This little lie won't hurt too much - how about a few days from now just say you guys chose to stay friends and you can go back to being the sad single one at your Aunt's ball?" Blaire suggested with a satirical smile, I tilted my head back and sighed.

"Oh - there you guys are" Mom then chimed and we all turned our heads to her.

"One sec Gwen- hey Delii - I'm on the phone with Aunty G -"

Oh God, not already?

"And she is already stoked as anything to hear about this Joshua boy of yours, she was surprised to ever see the day you had a boy on your lock screen" she commented and I felt Blaire's hand squeeze my shoulder. Yep, this was my real life. My own Mother was the biggest cheerleader for me to get cuffed.

"Thank you so much Mother Dearest, glad to give all of you such hope" I replied with utmost sarcasm but it went over her head. She then went back to her phone call and left me looking drained.