𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑. 𝟏𝟎

Josh's POV

𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐖𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐀 𝐅𝐄𝐖 moments of awkward eye contact between the women, before Gwen smiled exaggeratedly at Addie.

"Adeline if you don't mind I could actually use a cup of coffee, just as I run through the details of the event to our guest" Gwen chimed. Addie looked slightly confused by her aunt attempting to not sound mischievous.

"Uhh, yeah sure - what can I get you uh, Mr. Bassett?" she asked. I almost scowled, why did she call me that??

I furrowed my brows at her and she widened her eyes back. Addie then brought her hand in front of her face like she was scratching it, but she was actually trying to mouth something to me. Too bad she failed miserably at being sneaky and I couldn't see her lips. It was hilariously adorable watching her try though.

"I-it's okay I'm all good" I replied and Addie frowned slightly. I did mention to her that I was craving a coffee earlier, but I didn't want her to serve me anything - it just felt weird? Well this entire situation was now weird.

"And uh - take all the time you need 'kay" Gwen added as Addie began to walk out. She nodded in return but she could tell something was going to go down, I just had no idea what the tension in the room was for. But soon enough, Addie left us both in the room.

"So Joshua, like I said I just wanted to discuss your availability, promotional material and what our ball is all about," she began, to which I agreed to with a smile.

"And we'll get to that soon," she then decreed and she leaned forward in her chair, "let's talk about something else we both have in common...Adeline."

I looked away shyly before clearing my throat, "R-right, what about her?" I had no idea if the plan changed this quick - I had no idea what to say.

"Oh nothing just, well she's been quite uh 'keeping to herself', for the longest time and I wanted to meet the boy who broke that...streak."

Okay Addie wasn't kidding when she said her family cared an awful deal about her personal life. A family dynamic I wasn't used to I must say.

"Well it's uh, yeah it's all a bit new for us so I guess that's why she may not have said much about me." Yeah this entire ruse was VERY new to me. Gwen simply nodded and shifted in her seat.

This woman just gave off such superior energy, I didn't know how to come off well in this. And if I did anything that made her dislike me I knew I'd get pissed at myself.

Jesus why am I talking like I am Adeline's boyfriend? SNAP OUT OF IT.

"Sorry I didn't mean to come off so...me, and I know we're kinda mixing business and personal lives here although I'm pretty sure you guys started it" she kidded and I cracked a smile, "I'm just looking out for her y'know. Me and her Mom like to just be up to date with her, protect her if she needs it but just get to know the people she cares about. But I think she's a bit too shy around us." She detailed.

"Now that I can agree with" I retorted and I finally saw Gwen crack a smile and look less daunting. And I did admire that even though her family seemed to pry in the only daughter's life, it was all out love and wanting to connect with her.

I agreed with that particular point as we had been talking for weeks now, and even though I would give hints of what I thought was casual flirting, she didn't seem to catch on. Either she was clueless to my side of things or she just wasn't interested. But either way I was having so much fun getting to know her. Her sarcastic internet persona came through the way she talked to me a lot, yet she was still so humble and charismatic without even knowing it.