17

"I had a dream last night"

"That tends to happen when you sleep baby" Leo chuckled looking down at his little sister as they slowly strolled down the side walk.

"Well I know that" the five year old stated with a little sass to her tone, "but this dream was different to my normal ones".

"How so?"

"Daddy was in it"

Leo took a sharp breath in processing the toddlers words, Charlie hadn't mentioned their father once since being in their care .

So why now?

"He read me Cinderella and then gave me a kiss goodnight " the child informed gently swaying her and Leo's hand.

Leo nodded in response not yet being able to form a proper response to her out of the blue statement.

"Where is daddy ?"

The dreaded question, the one he had hoped Charlie would never ask but always knew she eventually would.

At least at an older age anyway.

The older brother sighed stopping at a close by bench, sitting down and gently placing Charlie on his lap  "we don't really know that sweetheart ".

He wasn't going to lie to her and in all fairness that was the truth, the very sugar coated truth.

When their father had disappeared he left the boys in a lot of shit bringing on a very dark time in their lives, Charlie's arrival however was the perfect light to brighten things up a little.

Charlie nodded, then scrunching up her eye brows with confusion .

"Did he say why he left?" She questioned grabbing Leo's tie and rolling it up in her tiny hands creating ripples in the expensive fabric.

"Charlie , darling if I knew that I would tell you I promise, but unfortunately I don't, none of us do " He spoke gently running his fingers through her curly locks .

"Sometimes people go away when everything becomes a bit much , yes it's unfair and upsetting but there's not much we can do about it " he carried on keeping his tone soft.

Charlie nodded pouting a little.

"that's abit fuck"

Leo's eyes suddenly widened in both surprise and anger , he admitted hearing his five year old sister curse was a little funny but was still wildly inappropriate.