14

the boys left over a half hour ago to find some snacks and drinks that they can all have while watching the firework display tonight. the pier is crowded with people of all ages and the girls sit on a bench near the railings, eating donuts that avani bought from a nearby dessert stall and talking about whatever springs to mind. nessa joins in from time to time, giving her input but for the most of it she stays quiet. the lights distract her as she thinks about how crazy her new life is and how just over a month ago she was a totally different person with a completely average teenage girl life and now it's like she's in a movie. the followers and fan pages haven't gone un-noticed by her but she doesn't quite understand why it's happening.

josh texting her has got to be the best thing that's ever happened to her but not because of the followers she's gained from it but because she has the chance to have someone as amazing as josh in her life and to call her best friend. it's only been weeks at most but the two of them have formed some sort of bond that's unspoken and nobody really understands it- not even them. but it's there and it's real.

"hey nessa, wanna make a tiktok?".

nessa looks away from the chaotic scene of colourful rides and cotton candy stalls to look over at mads and addison who are standing together side by side. the other three girls have gone off somewhere.

"yeah sure" nessa shrugs, sliding off of the bench and jogging over to her friends.

her friends. that's another reason why this whole thing is insane. she's now friends with some of the biggest social media influencers on the apps right now. so insane.

addison picks the sound, giving a quick demonstration to nessa before the three get into formation and start the tiktok. by the end of it, they've attracted a crowd.

"can i have a picture?" a girl around the same age if not- a year or so younger asks nessa as she breaks away from addison and mads who have been mobbed.

confused, nessa hesitates for a minute.

"you want a picture with me?". her tone is doubtful and she isn't sure if it's a joke or not.

the girl smiles, "yea, you're nessa right? i think you're so pretty".

nessa thanks the girl before leaning in close and smiling for the snapchat. she's thanked by the girl for being so nice and then it's a repeated cycle as more girls ask for photos.

"can i have a photo too" a high pitched voice asks from behind nessa. she doesn't notice how odd the voice sounds until she turns around.

"sure sweeti- josh?".

josh stands with the goofiest smile on his face as he watches nessa roll her eyes in exaggeration. she pushes him gently and he puts an arm over her shoulder, nessa fitting perfectly under his arm as they walk back towards their group of friends.

"no but seriously i do want that photo" josh says, a playful smile still on his lips.

nessa looks up at him, the exact same smile on her face. "shut up doofus".

________

anthony leans over the stone fire pit with a match in his hands ready to be lit. he sparks the match and drops it into the pit, the fire igniting instantly. the group surround the fire with blankets over them and their hoodies being used to cover the logs they're sitting on.

nessa watches the flames dance wildly in amusement. she wishes that her friends were here to enjoy this with her as they've never been to a beach bonfire before but they can't be. nessa misses them terribly but the space they're having from each other right now isn't a bad thing. she just wishes it could be over soon.

"smore?" questions charlie who sits on nessa's left side. nessa smiles in appreciation before taking the snack and putting it up to her mouth.

before she has the chance to eat it, josh leans in and takes a large bite of the gooey marshmallow treat. nessa gasps, frowning at him. the others find it hallarious while josh tries not to choke and laugh at the same time.

i'm sorry ness it just looked too good" he shrugs in defence, putting his head on her shoulder.

nessa isn't the only one thinking how insane it is that they've become super close in the short amount of time that they've known each other. josh has never been so comfortable with a girl like this before especially one he didn't even know not too long ago. it's crazy to him how much he wants to be around nessa and how she makes him feel normal again. he's no big star but he's in the public eye and for her to be around, it keeps him grounded and normal for a change. he likes it.

"here you can have mine" he says after a minute of nessa glaring at him. if looks could kill he'd for sure be dead.

josh takes a marshmallow that was slowly roasting on the side of the fire. he puts it between two graham crackers and chocolate. when it's assembled, he holds it up to nessa's mouth. she leans forward and takes a bite, a satisfying sigh followed soon after. josh feeds her the rest and then licks his fingers, taking away the stickiness from the melted marshmallow.

the group talk in their own little conversations while roasting the rest of the marshmallows and drinking wine coolers bryce bought at the nearest store. nessa is looking up at the stars as she lays on the log, her legs over charlie's thighs and her head resting in josh's lap. he's talking to jaden and mads about something she isn't interested in.

there's a lot for nessa to think about and somehow this setting just feels right for her. she feels a buzz in her pocket and assumes it's a text from her mom.

______

mikey <3
hey!
when we hanging out? i miss you!

_____

nessa leaves mikey on read.

she thought that she really liked him but if that were true then why doesn't she think about him all the time and why doesn't she get butterflies whenever his name is mentioned. maybe her mind was just playing tricks on her. maybe her friends were right.

"hey you okay?".

nessa puts her phone back into her pocket, lifting her head to look up at josh. his ocean blue eyes glaze against the flames of the fire creating a contrasting colour that she finds alluring.

"i'm okay just tired" she replies, turning her head to side so she's facing the sea.

josh takes his hand and rests it on her face, his thumb stroking her cheek. nessa can't help but want to fall asleep right here right now.

"stop you're gonna make me fall asleep" she laughs, sitting up.

josh smiles, putting his arm around her shoulder. nessa's head naturally falls against his chest just in time for the fireworks to begin.

when he's too busy watching the display, nessa sneaks a glance at josh. she finds it cute how his face lights up like a little kid on christmas morning. his smile is wide and eyes are filled with wonder.

nessa feels something in the pit of her stomach.

she feels butterflies.

oh boy.

__________________

i have SO much planned for this
y'all gonna hate me tho 😳✌🏻