46

jaden🤠
broooo
where you @?
we're all at the airport
nessa's flight leaves in an hour
there's still time to say goodbye

josh
sorry can't make it
tell her i said bye tho

jaden🤠
stop being a fucking douche
she's really upset
do the right thing bro
you know you'll regret it if you don't

_______________

josh leaves jaden on seen as he locks his phone and goes back to playing fortnite. he thought about going to the airport, really he did but what would be the point? he'd only break his own heart more than she has. it ruined him when she didn't stop him from walking out the other night. he relally thought that after all the shi they'd been through, this was their time to be happy together and get what they wanted. sure he could have been more mature about the situation but josh's coping and defense mechanisms have never been perfect.

picking up his controller, josh can't help but stare at the gold band around his finger. his friendship ring. he remembers the day he gave nessa hers and the moment they had before she left. josh feels his heart sink at the thought of the girl he's been in love with for months. how did things get so complicated? why did they get so complicated?. josh puts down the controller and takes off his ring, the top of his finger tracing over the engraving inside of it. he begins to think about what his life would have been like now if he hadn't decided to text his number neighbour that day. he wouldn't have ever met nessa nor would he have learned so much stuff about himself without her being there to help- to encourage him and support him. nessa has done so much for him in the last years but it scares josh to think about losing her forever- regardless of everything that's happened.

he recalls all their moments in his head although if he had any control then he'd stop because its killing him slowly. best friends. something they've always been no matter what. and it's true, nessa is his best friend but somewhere along the line she became so much more than just a best friend. she became someone he couldn't bare to upset. someone he got excited talking to or even just thinking about. someone who he could always count on to be there. she became his other side. his whole life. the only person he's ever pictured a future with and been genuinely happy with.

    he starts to go over every detail about the other night and plays the conversations over and over and over in his head like a broken record in constant loop. he realises now that he was the one being selfish in that moment and he should have just been happy for her. maybe if he showed that he was then she'd have reconsidered the whole not doing long distance thing. but it made him mad knowing that she had made the decision without even discussing the options with him. it made josh feel like she couldn't wait to leave. like she didn't love him at all. ever.

   "there's no point sitting around here. you'll regret it if you don't go to the airport" a voice speaks from the doorway.

    josh lifts his head, his eyes tearing themselves away from the ring to look at the person whom the voice belongs to.

   "what are you doing here?".

   the last person josh expected to see in his living room today was mikey tua.