1

Isabelle's POV

I played with the star charm on my necklace as I looked up at the sky. A huge smile was on my face. It had been too long. Fourteen years too long, in fact. I was excited to see my best friend again, but I was also nervous. We hadn't spoken since I left with Brienne and the other fighting men. I was also a little sad, for it was my first return here, since my father died.

It wasn't until I was fourteen where I learned the actual truth in how he died. Wildlings had ambushed the army camp. My father was always the hero. He had sacrificed himself to save Lord Stark. Ever since then, I've been training to fight with the help of Brienne. My plan was to kill every wildling I come across, they must pay for what they did. However, Brienne is always telling me think before you strike. I've done enough thinking in the last two years to last me a lifetime. I plan on killing all the wildlings. It was my life's quest to avenge my father. I know that Brienne didn't want me to live this sort of life, but I also knew that she would help and protect me. It was the very first promise, she had made to me when we left Winterfell all those years ago.

"Do you think, she'll remember me?" I asked turning my head to look at Brienne.

She let out a heavy sigh, making me realise she was annoyed. "For the third time, yes. She'll remember you."

"But what if she doesn't? It'll be rather awkward, saying hello and trying to hug her."

"Well, here's an idea. Don't hug her."

"But Brienne, she's my best friend." I said rather sadly.

"You were best friends, fourteen years ago. A lot can happen...A lot can change."

"But we made a promise."

"Promises don't mean a thing. They always get broken." She looked down and I barely managed to hear her mumble under her breath. "Just like your heart."

"No." I shook my head. "We made a promise. That promise means something to me. Our friendship means something to me. Sansa means something to me."

"Just don't get your hopes up too high. Remember, she is highborn. She isn't like us. We serve and we protect. We do as she wants. Now that you're older, you don't have the fortune of being her friend. Times have changed now that you're older. Your duty is to serve, not be her friend."

"We'll see." I reply crossing my arms. "I'll show you. We're still best friends."

I watched the trees pass me by. Feeling a lump begin to form in my throat. I knew she was right. A lot had changed. I for one, grew taller. I grew stronger. I swapped dresses, for vests and trousers and boots. I swapped sewing needles for a sword. I wonder if she had changed and how. My question would soon be answered for we reached the gates leading towards the place I once called home.

It had taken fourteen years but finally, I had returned to Winterfell.

The gates opened and Brienne flicked the reins, causing the horses to trot along into the courtyard. I looked around, in complete and utter awe. Not a thing had changed. Everything was where it was before. The only thing that changed, was the family the was waiting for us in the center of the courtyard.

Lady and Lord Stark looked practically the same, except for Lord Stark had more wrinkles and a few more scars than I remembered.

I studied their children, trying to figure out who was who.

A small girl was stood in front of Lady Stark and I just knew that was Arya. She wouldn't remember me for she was only a baby when we left. I looked to her brothers and they gave me warm smiles, except for the younger ones, they also didn't know who I was.