Chapter 10 ~ Reminder

Mal's POV
Few days have passed and Evie's 17th birthday is approaching. I've been thinking lately what should we do to surprise her. Ugh, I need help.

I stood up from my bed and was about to open the door when Evie came in with Doug.

"Hey, E...and Doug" I smiled, Doug smiled and asked a permission to enter the room. I took a step aside the door to let him enter.

"Hey, M. Where you going?" She asked as she and Doug slowly placed some paper bags of cloth on her table.

"Umm...I have a date today with Ben and he said that I should wait for him at the field"

"And you're going out with him like that?" She laughed and looked over to what I was wearing. So, yeah, I was wearing my purple and green tops with thick laces on the shoulders and my 'ripped-off' jeans which I thought I would look cool. But with Evie, who is also known as the 'queen of fashion', I couldn't resist but to follow what she says when it comes to clothing. I rolled my eyes and groaned.

"You're under her, huh?" Doug laughed and I faked a smile.

"Maybe because I just couldn't help myself" I rolled my eyes and laughed.

"I just don't want her to fail on their date" Evie walked up to me and handed me a dress.

"Aww, that's sweet, E" I took the dress from her and headed to the dressing room.

Evie's POV
I watched Mal turned her back on us and I smiled. Doug walked closer to me and took my hand. I looked over and faced to him and took my hand away from his grip. I faked a smile.

"Umm... sorry for that" he locked his eyes on the ground shyly.

He reminded me of Carlos. But there are too much differences between them. When I think about Carlos, all that enters into my mind is my snow headed first friend. I really have no one talk with before he came into my life. I really learned a lot from him. He taught me everything that I should know, everything that I should feel, and everything that I should see. Without him, I wouldn't learn that even if you we're stepped a million times by people, you should stand up for yourself. And for the first time I used it to fight for myself from Chad. He even taught me how to feel I'm loved when no one was there to comfort me, and he was there. He loves me but I'm not sure. I still can't see what's behind of what he said, 'If someone teaches you or helps you find who you really are, then he can be the one'. Did he mean it?