42 ★ Comfort you

𝟙𝟘𝟘𝟘 𝕋𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘𝕤 - 𝕁𝕒𝕤𝕠𝕟 𝕄𝕣𝕒𝕫

"I've always wanted to miss you

And I always wanted to comfort you

See, I love to comfort you"

Cedric POV

I tap my foot relentlessly against the ground, wondering how long this will take. Savannah drives slowly. She's in no hurry, but I am. Ezra is in the passenger seat, exchanging glances with me and Savannah, and occasionally sneaking a peak at Hendrix. He curious about how she's reacting to all this.

He's not the only one. I can't stop thinking about her and this predicament. She's pregnant. My human mate is pregnant with my pup. And she's just now learned parts of the truth. She saw me half shifted. She must be freaked out.

After I almost killed Jamison, everything fell into place rather quickly. It was almost too easy. Hendrix packed what she needed. She tried to convince me she needed everything she bought for the baby already, but I informed her it wouldn't fit. It's true, but it's not my main reason, I want to be the one to buy everything this child will need.

When we got out to the car, Savannah drove us to the nearest home improvement store, which ended up being the Home Depot. I had no clue what she was up to. She slammed the car door and made her way to the building without a single word or explanation. Ezra held tightly to Jamison in the very back seat. He appeared annoyed at having to watch the bastard. I don't blame him.

She came back with a bag full of silver chains. Hendrix raised an eyebrow, but continued to keep her mouth shut.

Savannah tied Jamison up tightly with the chains, and he cried out in pain. Tears were streaming down his face. Once my Beta was done, she threw him in the trunk and shut it with a thump.

That brings us to now. Hendrix is remarkably silent after the show. She peers out the window despite my attempts to hold her and coax some affection from her. I'm starved of her touch, desperate for love, but she sits motionless beside me.

She's in shock. I dimly wonder what all Ezra told her. Does she know what I am? Does she know how important she is, especially to me?

I almost forget where we're going until we pull into the diner parking lot. Hendrix said she needs to get her last check, and settle things with her boss. Then we can figure out what to do next.

She struggles to even open the door, so I rush to help her with it. She won't even look at me when I help her down onto the pavement. Her breath is uneven, and she's remarkably pale. It scares me. Pregnancy shouldn't be this hard on her. It's just another painful reminder that she's human.

Ezra agrees to stay behind and watch the idiot, while Savannah tags along with us. Hendrix clings to my arm while we enter the practically empty restaurant. It's late at night, and no one is here. She makes eye contact with one of her coworkers, the flirty one with hungry eyes.

The girl takes a step forward, and she stares openly at us, before smiling at Hendrix and taking her hand.

"He came back. I'm so happy for you." She whispers, and I can sense the authenticity there. She actually cares about my mate. At least she had someone.

I can't stop imagining how awful it's been for her here. No mate, no friends, just a murderous werewolf with false motives that she trusted. He was going to kill her. She doesn't know that, and I don't know how to break it to her. It would crush her.