55 ★ Lift away

ℝ𝕖:𝕊𝕥𝕒𝕔𝕜𝕤 - 𝔹𝕠𝕟 𝕀𝕧𝕖𝕣

"This is not the sound of a new man

Or a crispy realization

It's the sound of me unlocking and you lift away

Your love will be safe with me"

Cedric POV

After a long day of work, I'm finally able to go home to my mate. I'm still amazed that after all this time she's officially my mate for good. My mark is placed on her pale neck, even though my baby is already growing inside of her, the bite on her skin is more permanent.

It's as if a weight has been lifted off of my shoulder. I have a skip in my step because everything just feels right, like nothing can go wrong. Jamison is gone, my mate is here, and she's ready to pop.

Any day the baby will be here, and Hendrix will no longer be in pain. We'll have a pup, everything will be how it should be. My little family will be safe. I'll be here to protect and provide for them. What could go wrong?

I walk into the house, prepared to be greeted by Hendrix. I know as soon as I step through the door that she's not on the main floor. I close the door behind me with a sigh, stepping inside and climbing the stairs two at a time, anxious to see her.

Savannah's scent remains, but she's gone already. Maybe Hendrix is asleep. When I open the door to our bedroom, I don't find what I was expecting. Instead of being fast asleep, she's crying.

My sweet little mate is curled up with a blanket, her back to the bed. She looks up at me, and she sobs when she spots me. I blank, not knowing what the hell is going on or what I should do. I make a break for her, bending down to her level and putting my hand on the back of her neck.

"Baby, what's wrong? Are you hurt?" I'm so paranoid when it comes to her safety. She's so human, so little and weak, and heavily pregnant. Anything could go wrong.

Hendrix sniffles, rubbing at her tears and lifting her heavy curls from her face to look at me.

"I don't know, I was just thinking about Keifer, and now I'm crying. I stopped crying, but then I sat down here and I can't get back up. I'm stuck, so now I'm crying again because everything is so hard." Her voice cracks at the last part, and then she explodes into an uncontrollable fit of tears and sobs as she collapses into me.

My natural reaction is to hold her and try to soothe her with soft words, but nothing seems to curb the sorrow she's feeling. I never really know if I'm doing enough. Hendrix is always crying now, and I'm so useless. I can't stop it. I want to do everything in my power to make her happy, but it's impossible.

I panic in these moments of hormone induced tears. I can't understand where it comes from. She's sad for no reason most of the time, but this time is a little different. It all started when Hendrix thought of Keifer, and it made her cry.

Having regular contact with the CPO, I've been able to get more info on the lycan pup and his circumstances. As I suspected, his mother was human and was terminated after he was born. No one knows who his real father is. They haven't been able to find him a home yet, and they're open to letting us take him in.

I'm still a bit reluctant to adopt him so quickly. It's something I need to think about. It's been clear to me for a while that Hendrix already has her heart set on having him, and I don't see her changing her mind.