part 1

will byers
"will, come on, we got to go!" my mom scolds.
i look around my small, chicago apartment, which has been my home for my whole life. my home when my parents got divorced and my home when i went missing. i nod, following my mom and older brother jonathan outside to our car, which is hooked up to the moving van. i've been mute for a year now, ever since i went missing i've just felt like a disturbance. it's easier for people to just forget about me and me be quiet, keeping my secrets to myself. i climb into the backseat, which is perfect for me. i'm only 4'11 and i'm only supposed to grow an inch or two more. as my mom pulls out of the parking lot, no one says anything. we're all happy to get away from this place, start a new life.
*three hours later*
"will, wake up!" jonathan whisper-yells, i sit up and see the big enough house for us three. our new home.
"where's mom?" i write in my notebook. if i have to respond to something, i just write in the notebook.
"she's looking inside the house. let's go, mom said we can pick our own room!" jonathan exclaims, i know he's trying to get me excited. i follow jonathan inside, i walk into the smaller bedroom, if jonathan and i weren't sharing a room i didn't need much space.
"are you sure you want that room, bud? jonathan said you can have the bigger room," my mom asks.
i shake my head yes, showing i'm okay with my current room that i have. i start to unpack what i can, my drawing stuff, bathroom, stuff, and i get out everything i would need to sleep and stuff. all of a sudden, there's a knock on the door. i let jonathan get it, it's not like i want to talk to them.
"will, some kids want to meet you!"