part 27

will byers
as i say yes to mike, i start to tear up. not because of sadness, but because i'm getting married to the love of my life. granted, it's not legal, but i don't care. mike slides the ring on my finger and hugs me, we occasionally kiss each other.
"hey, will, mike, come in here!" lucas shouts.
i don't want to get out of mike's hug, but i know i have to. i start to walk into the kitchen, but mike stops me.
"you really mean it? you want to marry me?" mike assures.
"i really mean it, bub," i whisper.
mike and i walk into the kitchen, we both quickly grab food, and we sit down with the rest of the party.
"lemme see the ring!" max exclaims.
i stick my hand out, everyone makes a massive deal.
"holy shit, that's real diamond!" dustin shouts.
"i wasn't going to buy a ring with fake diamonds for my love. i've been saving up for a while," mike states.
i slowly eat, staring up at mike.
*flashback*
"come on, will, eat something!" jonathan begs.
"joyce, your son is 73 pounds, he's severely underweight." dr. owens states.
i'm not hungry, i'm causing a burden on mom.
*flashback over*
i get up, needing to be alone. once i get to my room, i start to sob. i don't even know what caused that flashback, i was just eating. i go into my drawer, grabbing my hospital bracelet without even noticing. a knock on the door interrupts my thoughts.
"will, what's wrong?" mike and my mom asks.
"nothing," i lie.
"you're talking to the two of the three people that know you the best, open the door, please, babe," mike begs.
i open the door, falling into their arms. my mom closes the door, so it's just us three.
"will, what happened?" my mom asks.
"i-i has a flashback," i whisper, playing with the hospital bracelet.
"elaborate," mike says, taking my hand.
"i was just eating then i flashbacked to when i was admitted for being so underweight, i don't know why, i just did," i explain.
"will, during that time, you felt like a burden, you're not a burden, you never were," my mom says.
"i agree with your mom, bubba."
"now i feel like i ruined the engagement/graduation party," i admit.
"lemme handle this," mike whispers to my mom.
mike takes me into his arms and i sob.
"you didn't ruin this. i'm marrying you! you will never ruin anything for me ever."

thank you for 1.5k reads!