part 14

mike wheeler
!f slur!
"did you and el ever date?" will asks.
"yeah. then i realized i was gay, i just explained it to her, and she was okay with it," i explain.
will and i are walking home from school, it's been two months since we started school, and personally i think it's gone pretty well.
"hey, faggots!" a voice, none other than troy harrington's voice yells out.
"don't say anything," i whisper to will.
i don't want him to get hurt at all.
"what the fuck do you want troy?" i ask.
all of a sudden, i'm grabbed from behind, and so is will. a bright silver blade is against both of our throats, i can see wills eyes start to tear up.
"jump off the edge of the quarry or he gets cut," james threats.
"mike, don't do it!" will yells.
"oh, he talks," troy taunts.
"jump, faggot!" james yells.
"mike!" will yells as i jump.
all of a sudden, i stop falling.
it's el.
once i'm back on the ground, i smile at el, and i punch james, so he can let go of will. as el helps us with troy and james, i make sure will is okay. i know he's a little shaken up, but no physical harm is done.
"let's go," el whispers.
i just pick will up and i follow el.
"why did you jump?" will asks once we get home.
"i wasn't going to let him hurt you, there was no way," i state.
he smiles and kisses my cheek.
"thank you," he whispers.
"don't thank me, thank el."
suddenly, my mom barges into my room.
"mike, will, are you two okay? i heard what just happened!" my mom questions.
"yeah, we're fine. just shaken up is all," i tell her.
i wasn't going to tell her i jumped off the cliff for will. it was necessary, i love him and he deserves the whole world. at around seven, joyce comes to pick up will. i kiss him goodbye and i tell him to call me if he needs anything, like always.
"mike, tell me the truth. are you okay?" my mom asks for the millionth time.
i fall into her arms and i start to sob.
"i'm scared mom. not just for me, but for will as well," i manage to choke out.
"hey, it'll be okay. i promise you, for now, i want you and will to walk straight to his house or ours," my mom orders.
"thanks mom. it's just, i love him and i can't lose him."