part 4

mike wheeler
i would be lying if i said i didn't think will is cute. i don't want to pressure him into deciding his sexuality, if he's not gay or bisexual then that's okay. i'll be a little heartbroken, but i'll get over it. i grab everything i need for the pool before i go to pick up will. max meets me outside, much to what people think, we're actually close.
"hey, max, can i talk to you for one minute before i go and pick up will?" i ask her.
"of course what's up?" max responds.
"i'm not sure, but i think i may like will. he's not sure of his sexuality though and i don't want to pressure him," i explain.
"i would say wait a week or two and then ask him out. even if will is not gay or bi, he will still be gentle about it. i think he likes you though," max tells me.
i thank max, us two go to wills since they're neighbors, mrs. byers pulls me inside while will is getting some final things.
"can you look out for will? he's experienced bullying in the past and i don't want anything to happen to him," mrs. byers asks.
"of course i will. i don't want my friend to get hurt," i respond.
will walks into the small living room, he smiles softly. i can tell he's nervous.
that smile was cute though.
"ready to go? max is waiting outside," i ask.
will nods, following me outside.
"wait! will, i may have some money," joyce calls, getting her wallet.
"it's okay, mom. i'm not hungry," will states.
"i'll pay for him if he's hungry. you don't have to pay me back," i say.
*20 minutes later*
"you're late!" lucas yells from across the pool deck.
"i'm sorry, my mom was being controlling," will says.
i place my towel next to his, will just takes everything in, but i'm taking him in. the way his eyes look like pools of honey in the sun, the way the sun shines through his bull cut, the way his small figure just sits and observes.
"mike, will come on!" el shouts from the pool.
"let's go, will," i say.
"mike, i can't swim," will writes.
"it's okay! i'll teach you!" i exclaim.
i take his hands, pulling him with me.
*three hours later*
"hey, will. you want any food?" i ask.
"no, i'm not hungry. thanks for teaching me how to swim."
i sit down next to will on the grass, that's when i realize our towels are over our hands.
this is your chance, mike wheeler!
i slowly start to creep my hand towards his. i link our pinkies together, will just nods at me.