Chapter Fourteen

Drayce stopped, covering his eyes with one hand. His breathing was hard. Regret emanated from him.

"You okay, buddy?" Caelum asked

"Yeah I'm fine." Drayce responded. His voice was soft, but shaky. He put his hand down. His eyes were red with suppressed tears.

Lillia didn't know what to say. She wasn't surprised at all that Drayce would get himself in trouble like that when he was younger. But her brain was still trying to accept that he was a Mystic. There were no Mystics in Remulon. That was specific to Kamasia. Not only that but the fact that they were so hated. She couldn't help but relate it to the hate she got over her hair color. No wonder Drayce kept it a secret.

"You don't have to keep going if you don't want to." Lillia said.

"No. You both have a right to know." Drayce responded. He took a deep breath. "Anyway, I ran as fast as I could back home..."

***

When Drayce got home, his parents ran out to meet him. His mother pulled up with a sharp gasp.

"Drayce, is that blood?" she asked horrified.

Drayce choked back a sob and nodded. He couldn't believe he had just done that. He didn't know if he had killed anyone, but he had seen plenty injured and bleeding.

His Father's face was hard. "Let's get inside." He said

They hurried inside and his parents took him to the sitting room closing the door.

"What did you do this time?" His Father demanded.

"I—" Drayce couldn't bring himself to say anything. He was in deep trouble and not just with his parents.

"Did you show your, you know..." his Mother asked softly.

Drayce nodded looking down at his feet in shame. "It was an accident. I'm sorry."

His Father shook his head in disdain. "It always is, Drayce. We've been successful so far keeping this a secret, but I have no idea how we're going to cover this up."

"I was bored. I just went looking for something to do." Drayce said defensively.

"Can't you stay out of trouble for one hour?" His father had demanded. "You just put our whole family in danger because of your carelessness!"

"I'm sorry! How many times do I have to say it? The blame really should be on Ms. Halite! She was ignoring me." Drayce retorted.

"No Drayce. It's not her fault. You are the one to blame and you must accept that! No one can be happy unless they take responsibility for their own actions." His Father said.

"What are we going to do?" his Mother asked.

"We pretend nothing out of the ordinary happened. If someone asks about the event in relation to Drayce we pretend we don't know about his part in it." His Father said.

They both nodded.

"And don't think you aren't going to be punished for this, Drayce. You also should apologize to Ms. Halite." His Father said.

Drayce nodded without fighting.

Later that night Drayce laid on his bed staring at his ceiling. He kept seeing flashes of people getting stabbed with knives from earlier. Blood soaking cloths, splattering the pavement.

He squeezed his eyes shut. That was his fault.

Why? Why! He asked himself a million times. Why must I be cursed? He was a burden. And he couldn't do anything about it. No amount of good behavior could fix that.