Chapter Seventy-Six

Lillia sat patiently as Drayce and Caelum got checked out by a couple of physicians. Drayce looked like a vein would burst in his forehead as the doctor prodded at his unbandaged leg.

“Holy Non, man! Do you have to do so much poking?” Drayce demanded.

“Yes, I do.” The doctor answered flatly. “What happened to your leg again?”

“I told you, it got crushed under a rock.” Drayce said. Lillia cringed. He probably should have thought of something else to tell the doctor.

The doctor raised an eyebrow. “How in Non’s name did you accomplish that?”

“You needn’t worry about how or why, just what is.” Drayce said evasively.

“Right.” The doctor said, obviously not satisfied. “You need to get better lies, Crown Prince. If you had crushed it under a rock, you wouldn’t be able to use it.”

“I can’t use it now.” Drayce pointed out. “I just wanted to know if I should be doing anything else other than splinting it and avoiding pressure.”

“I can feel multiple cracks along the tibia alone, but the bones seem to be healing correctly.” He looked up at Drayce. “How did you set this so perfectly?”

Drayce sniffed at the obvious disbelief in the doctor’s tone. “I didn’t. A surgeons apprentice did.”

Lillia rolled her eyes at Drayce’s insistence to contradict even doctors. she looked over at Caelum and the two physicians working on him. That group had a stronger air of solemnity.

“Try to move your face again.” One of the doctors instructed.

Caelum sighed with frustration and tried to smile. The left side hardly moved, causing that side to look like it was drooping.

The doctors shared a look.

“Just say what you blasted need to say. I’m not a feather-hearted idiot.” Caelum said.

“Of course, my lord.” One of them said. “Your burns for the most part are not severe enough to warrant too much concern, other than avoid popping the blisters and drink lots of water.”

“And the one on my face?” Caelum demanded.

“You have a fifth-degree burn. It likely is burned all the way to the muscle and that’s why you’re having trouble moving.” The physician said.

“Will it heal? I’m not in any fatal danger, am I?” Caelum asked.

“If it heals, you’ll always have scarring. You’re only in trouble if it gets infected. You need to wash it multiple times a day and put carron oil on it at night.”

“Will I get movement back?” Caelum asked. “Wait, did you say if?” He was trying to be no nonsense, but Lillia could see the intense concern behind his brown eyes.

“It will take a long time to heal. You will get better at moving that side of your face, but I’m afraid it will be severely weaker.”

That seemed to be a punch in the gut to Caelum. “Leave.” He said the simple command with authority. Both doctors snapped their bags closed and left. The one who was working with Drayce finished rebandaging him and left a few minutes later.