Chapter Thirty

Drayce sat down with Caelum, who was looking considerably better after a bath and some time to himself. However, his eyes still had that disturbed, hallow look in their depths.

They were in the library, which Drayce made sure was empty of servants. He also told the guards outside the door to stand further down the hall, so no one could overhear their conversation.

“I’m not interrogating you, but I want to know if there’s anything we can learn from this.” Drayce said, leaning back and crossing his legs.

Caelum nodded, also leaning back, but he still seemed ill at ease. “Do you have specific questions?”

“What’s the last thing you remember before going to bed?” Drayce asked, watching him closely.

Caelum looked a bit sheepish. “Well to be honest. After the ball was over, I went down to the kitchens and drank with some of the other guards. I regret to say I got a tad drunk.”

Drayce smiled. “So, all you remember was drinking afterwards?” Drayce hoped by asking detailed questions, that he would be able to jog Caelum’s memory.

Caelum thought for moment. Several moments. Drayce counted to twenty in his head. “Actually no.” Caelum said as if he surprised himself. He scrunched his face in concentration. “I…I stumbled to bed, and…I heard a voice. In my head.” He punched his knee. “It’s faint, almost as if I dreamed it. I don’t think I can remember what the voice said, but I remember thinking it sounded very reasonable.”

“Are you sure it wasn’t because you were drunk?” Drayce verified.

Caelum nodded decisively. “I’ve drank before. We’ve drank together before. I’ve never heard a voice before. And… I don’t know…It wasn’t my head voice. If that makes any sense.”

Drayce nodded. “And you don’t remember what it told you?”

Caelum thought again. “No.” He looked frustrated. “My memory is decidedly lacking after that.”

“Are you sure? When you were fighting me, I asked you if you had freed Zathrian, and it was like you fought through the influence of Keir for a moment.”

Caelum’s eyes were distant, examining his memory. Drayce felt he could relate with Caelum’s bafflement.

“Caelum, when I get vivid memories from my past, they come unwelcome, but it’s almost as if I’m reliving it. A vision if you will.”

“What do you mean?” Caelum asked. Drayce wasn’t sure exactly what his point was, but his instincts were taking over. He had a strong feeling he needed to try something.

Drayce shook his head. “I’m not sure. Can I try something?”

Caelum looked at him curiously but nodded. Drayce took a deep breath and reached forward, touching Caelum’s head. Drayce hardly knew what he was doing, but his chest started to tingle. It spread all the way down his arm to his fingertips. His chest became warmer, until it was burning. A small voice in Drayce’s head screamed Stop it! You’re using your powers!

Drayce felt Caelum tense, his entire body rigid. Drayce dimly heard Caelum cry out, then everything went black.

***