Chapter Seventy-Seven

“Lillia, you weren’t there. You can’t make judgments on my reaction if you were there.” Ella said.

Lillia took a seat and motioned for Ella to do the same. “No, but I do know how Caelum reacted to your reaction, and it wasn’t positive. This is the time that you need to be the most supportive, not avoiding him.”

Ella seemed especially fascinated in her fidgeting hands. Her broken arm was still in a sling, but otherwise she seemed to be healing well. “How did he get so injured?” She asked. “He wouldn’t tell me.”

“It’s not for me to tell. If he wants to keep that from you, he probably has a good reason.” Lillia said.

“I’m not totally helpless like you people apparently think.” Ella said snapping her head up. To Lillia’s surprise Ella looked extremely passionate. “I hate being treated like someone who needs to be stepped around. Someone who is just there to take advantage of your charity. I’ve heard you all apologize profusely for involving me in this, but you forget that I’m already involved. Just as much as you are.”

Lillia nodded in understanding. “Drayce has tried to keep things from me before to ‘protect me’ and I tell him off. Husbands and wives are supposed to be a team. We need to have each other’s backs as well as each other’s confidantes. If you don’t like Caelum treating you like that, tell him what you just told me.”

Ella nodded. Lillia continued, “But you really do need to help him through this rough patch. Unfortunately, Drayce is a bit wrapped up in other problems.” She winced as she said that. She hated having to make excuses for Drayce’s bad behavior.

“Yesterday was especially hard. I sat with him and tried to cheer him up. You have to convince him that you love him no matter what his face looks like.” Ella opened her mouth to protest. Lillia cut her off. “I know you aren’t that shallow, and so does Caelum, but it is a fear of his, considering how your reunion went.”

Ella nodded. “He just took me by surprise. I’m afraid I reacted poorly.”

Lillia took her hand in hers. “He’s been there for you all these years. It’s time to return the favor.”

***

Later that night, Lillia headed up to bed. The king’s condition hadn’t improved. He still was refusing food and refused to talk unless he had to. She wasn’t sure what had caused this sudden turn in his condition, but if things continued as they were, he would starve himself to death before his mind went. Not that he was terribly mentally stable to begin with.

Valloma was even more difficult to read. Lillia got the impression that she blamed Drayce in some twisted way. Evident in the disdainful looks she constantly gave him and the snide comments. It was how she had treated Lillia after Calder and Kesdan had died. Her disapproval couldn’t have been clearer.

Suddenly Lillia stumbled on the stairs. Her equilibrium disrupted. She gripped the handrail. This had started happening more and more recently. It was like the ground would suddenly tilt, changing her center of gravity. She had been prone to dizziness ever since her pregnancy started, but it felt like it was getting worse, as she increased. She squeezed her eyes shut as the spell ended. She was just grateful that the baby was still alive. She knew Drayce was too. Keir’s influence was dangerous indeed. Forcing men do what they would never, in their wildest dreams, do.