Chapter Thirty-Three

Drayce watched Lillia sit sullenly in her chair in the library. She refused to look him in the eyes. What had he done to make her feel she needed to leave, never to see him again?

Drayce sat next to Caelum, across from Lillia. They had gotten her into the castle as quietly as they could, considering the King was on a warpath for Lillia. The silence was tense, Drayce wanted answers, but he wasn’t sure he wanted to hear them.

“Lillia, why don’t you start by telling us why you left in the first place?” Caelum asked.

She shrugged looking at the floor. “It’s complicated.” She said evasively.

“Well, we have time.” Drayce said. He was surprised at how cold he sounded. Lillia flinched when he spoke, as if his words had smacked her in the face.

“I left to protect you.” She said simply.

“From what?” Drayce asked.

“Me.” Lillia responded.

Drayce almost laughed. “You’re going to have to explain. Why would you have to protect me from yourself?”

“Because I’m the catalyst. If I leave the prophecy is void, at least I think so.” Lillia said. “My parents knew that. That’s why they required I stay even after Calder and Kesdan died.”

“What are you the catalyst for?” Caelum asked.

Lillia closed her eyes, a tear escaping and rolling down her face. “The destruction of Kamasia.”

Drayce looked at Caelum. He seemed just as shocked as Drayce felt. “How could that be?” Drayce finally asked.

“There are things at work here that we can’t comprehend.” Lillia said.

“So, I’ve been told.” Drayce said. “Tell us anyway.”

“I don’t know where to start.” Lillia said finally looking up.

“Try the beginning.” Caelum said.

Lillia nodded taking a deep breath. “I’ve been cursed from the moment I was born, because of actions that were outside of my control.”

Drayce looked at her in surprise. She was openly saying she was cursed. She was still refusing to look at him, as she continued her explanation.

“I had an older sister. She disappeared before I was born. When she was two, she became fatally ill, none of the doctors in Remulon knew how to help her. My Father was desperate. So, he turned to magic. Remulites haven’t had magic for centuries, some people consider it a sin to dabble in the mystic arts. Since no natural magic remained in Remulon, he turned to the dark arts. He made a deal with the demon Zraa. He’s an infamous demon who resides in the Lands of Desolation outside Kamasia.”

Drayce’s mind was reeling. This sounded crazy. Lillia’s Father literally made a deal with a devil? To save his daughter? Drayce had met that man. He couldn’t see him doing anything like that. The devil part, maybe. But endangering himself to save his daughter?

“His actions saved her. However, in making his deal with a demon, a servant of Keir, he owed a great dept. One he could not repay. Keir he…” Lillia choked on her words. “He took my sister and cursed me. Gave me a devil’s mark to remind them of their sin. He made my parents swear to keep me alive until I was married. After that, my fate belonged to him.” Lillia looked disgusted at her own words, disgusted with herself.

Drayce rose his eyebrows. There was a lot more to this than he had originally expected. Her fate now belonged to Keir. What did this mean for their future? He had a million unanswered questions begging to be asked.