Chapter Twenty

"Okay, so can we go back to the part where you tell me about this 'darkness I can't comprehend'?"

Zathrian grunted cleaning his knife with the edge of his cloak. "First you need background, Mystic."

"Again. Don't call me Mystic. That's supposed to be a secret." Drayce said. "Here. "he held his hand out "You can call me Drayce." Zathrian ignored Drayce's hand.

"Everyone's going to know if I have anything to say about it." Zathrian said.

"Well you don't have any say on it. If I tell anyone, especially with the riots, I'll be executed. Something tells me that my Uncle would be more than happy to do it too." Drayce responded wryly.

Zathrian threw his knife. The blade narrowly missing Drayce's face. It stuck in the wall with a thunk. Drayce looked at it and turned on Zathrian. "What do you think you're doing? You almost killed me! For someone who obviously cares about stealth, that was incredibly foolish!"

Zathrian held out his hand. The knife flew back into it. Drayce jumped out of the way and looked back at the wall. No mark.

"How did you do that?" Drayce said incredulously. "There's no mark."

"Reversed time." Zathrian said. "But I can only do it on small objects, not people either."

"You can reverse time?" Drayce exclaimed.

"So can you. If you trained." Zathrian replied.

Drayce forced his mouth shut. That was insane! "What else can I do?"

"You can see flashes into the future, throw out energy fields, and quickly heal yourself. You could even have control over the weather. That's just naming a few. Everyone has their specialty." Zathrian replied, a spark of amusement in his eyes at Drayce's astonishment.

Drayce reeled himself back in. It didn't matter what he could do. He would never be able to show it. There was no point to refining his powers. Only controlling it.

"What's your point?" Drayce asked.

"My point is, we shouldn't be hated. We're better than them and they hate that, so they've driven us into the shadows. We should be the ones in charge." Zathrian said with spite.

Drayce shifted uneasy. It shocked him that he actually agreed. However, he didn't agree that they should use it to go on a power trip. Every time he had used his powers the backlash was immense. That was enough to convince him that they did not deserve power just because he was born with more abilities than the natural man.

"You know I'm right." Zathrian said.

"What's the difference between Mystics and Alchemists?" Drayce asked.

"Do you know about the succession of the gods?" Zathrian asked. "I mean of course not. You're Kamasian."

Drayce's jaw tightened. This guy was extremely arrogant. "Why don't you impart your knowledge on me O' wise one." He gave him a mock bow.

Zathrian glared at him. "There are seven moons, right?"

"Last I checked." Drayce said.

"Those are the original gods. The second generation was the Elves. They dominated over the humans, way back when. Remulites were the third. A combination of Elves and human."

"Remulites are a generation of gods?" Drayce asked surprised. This sounded delusional.

"If you're wondering if that makes your betrothed a goddess, then no. She is however directly descended from the original Remulite gods, especially since she's royalty."