Chapter Fourty-Five

It was the third day that Lillia had been sick and Drayce had sent for a doctor. Lillia had told him not to bother, but she hadn’t started feeling better. She had puked several more times and hadn’t eaten much, except for chocolate. The confection had never been one of her favorites, but at the moment was the only thing that sounded good. Everything else just made her want to puke again.

Drayce was obviously worried for her, but he had something else on his mind. She could tell. Every time she asked, he said that he would tell her later. Frustrating to say the least. If she had seen Caelum, she would’ve asked him, but Drayce confined her to their room, with little argument from her, so she hadn’t seen him.

There was a brisk knock on the door. “Come in.” She called weakly.

The door opened and the physician stepped in. Drayce had been busy with something, probably with whatever was bothering him, and she hadn’t seen him since that morning. She had called for D’Hara and she sat not far from her.

“Highness Shalddwell.” The man bowed. She nodded in acknowledgement. She shifted in her chair. Waiting for him to continue.

“What has been ailing you?” He asked sitting in a chair across from her.

“I was hoping you could tell me that, doctor. I’m hardly ever sick, even when I was a girl, I was fairly healthy.” Lillia said.

“What are your symptoms?” The Doctor asked.

“I’ve been extremely queasy. I’ve thrown up several times. I’ve been slightly dizzy and I’ve had no appetite.” She responded.

“Have you been eating anything?” He asked.

“Chocolate has been the only thing that has sounded good.” She said.

The physician furrowed his brows. “Have you been craving it?”

“Yes, I suppose.”

“Would you stand up for me, Highness?” he asked.

Lillia nodded and stood. Her dizziness increased, but she managed to stay standing.

“Please take off your dressing gown.”

She looked at him strangely for only a moment, before removing her dressing gown. She stood in her night rail.

He inspected her so intensely she blushed at the awkwardness. He’s a doctor. He’s simply trying to figure out what’s wrong with me. She told herself.

“May I do some prodding?” He asked professionally. She nodded her agreement.

He felt her ribs down her gut, stopping in the middle of her lower gut. She saw him give a small smile. He stepped back and sat again. Lillia followed suit.

“Highness Shalddwell, you are pregnant.” He said with authority.

“I’m what?” She asked shocked.

He nodded. “You are barely starting to show. Nausea, dizziness, and cravings are common symptoms.”

Lillia was at a complete loss for words. How did she manage to get pregnant so fast? She felt at her gut. Sure enough, her gut protruded ever so slightly. Suddenly the weeks before of not feeling quite herself came back to her. Her frequent anxiety. Her desperate thoughts. She hadn’t had a full appetite for a while. Her splitting headaches.