Chapter Seventeen

Drayce limped into the castle. He was met with a sensation of déjà vu, as the King and Queen met them in the entry.

The King looked furious. His face beet red. The Queen looked frustrated but more concerned when she saw Lillia.

“You left the castle?” The King yelled.

“Yes. We did. I don’t have time to deal with you.” Drayce said exhausted. “Aunt, send someone to go get the doctor. Lillia got severely burned. She needs medical attention right away.”

Caelum took her to one of the sitting rooms. She opened her eyes and appeared to immediately regret it. She gasped as Caelum set her down. He left in a hurry. He needed to get his companion medical help, along with checking on the people that were burned in the market.

“Just hold on, a doctor will be coming soon.” Drayce said grabbing Lillia’s hand. She gritted her teeth and nodded. He saw her eyes fill with tears. He sunk into a chair, still holding her hand.

The King came in. “Don’t set her there! She’ll get blood all over the settee!”

Drayce shook his head. His uncle was an idiot. One look and you could see there was no blood. Just angry, blistered, charred skin.

Drayce ignored King Reginald. His ankle throbbed, he was having trouble breathing and he had the worst headache he ever remembered having. His exhausted brain lost focus, he needed to rest. He was liable to fall asleep where he sat, despite the throbbing pain all over his body. He zoned back in to hear his Uncle still ranting.

“We warned you! That was completely foolish boy!” He spat at Drayce. Drayce trembled with exhaustion, but anger surged through him. Never would he ever sit there and let his Uncle stand there and scold him like a child.

He stood, putting all his weight on his uninjured ankle. “No Uncle you didn’t. In fact, I find it hilarious that you’re trying to seem like you care about what just happened to Lillia and I. All you care about is what this will do to your royal reputation.”

“How dare you speak to me like that!” The King hissed. “I can disinherit you.”

“Please do. I’ve had enough of you to last me a lifetime!” Drayce said.

The King clenched his fists. “What are you going to do?” Drayce demanded. “Punch me? I almost got beat to death tonight, but something tells me you wouldn’t have cared if I was laying in the streets in my own blood right now.”

“Hit it right on nose. Would’ve saved me a lot of trouble.” King Reginald growled.

“Kill me yourself then. I dare you.” Drayce said equally as quiet. The King shoved him. He was already off balance. He made the mistake of trying to catch himself with his bad foot. He rolled his ankle and heard it crack. A crippling pain shot up his leg. However, he bit his tongue. He wouldn’t let his Uncle have the satisfaction of hearing him cry out in pain.

“Drayce!” Lillia cried out. His eyes watered, but he got up anyways and moved over to her.

“How are you doing?” He asked her. Her face was deathly pale. Her eyes looked distracted by the pain. Despite she managed to look embarrassed. Drayce looked behind him at the King.

“Leave.” He said as forcefully as he could through his exhaustion. King Reginald didn’t protest as he stalked from the room. Drayce got an uneasy feeling. Things were going to get worse between the two of them.

He turned back to Lillia. “I’m sorry.” She said softly.

Drayce was slightly surprised. “No. I’m the one who should be sorry. I never should’ve suggested we leave.”