Chapter Fifty-Five

Drayce raked his hand through his hair. This expedition just became all the more dangerous. Lillia looked stricken. And for good reason. She was cursed because of her father’s negotiations with the demon, Zraa.

“That Non forsaken assassin lied to us!” Caelum said punching the side of the wagon with a thunk. “He probably sent us here to see if we could retrieve it for him. If we died good for him! If we survived even better.” He pointed an accusing finger at Drayce. “You, Drayce, are a sucker. You just want to believe that everyone has good intentions hidden somewhere, but guess what? Reality is hard.”

“Caelum.” Lillia chided. “He thought this was for the best.”

“I know. That’s the other thing.” Caelum threw his hands up in frustration. “Who brings their pregnant wife on a dangerous expedition where she could potentially get killed?”

Drayce felt his temper flare. Caelum was almost never like this. Why did he have to choose now to lose his cool? Knowing Caelum, he had probably been bottling up his feelings for days now. Now it was exploding. “That’s none of your business.” Drayce said through gritted teeth. “She has choices. I wasn’t going to force her to stay at the castle.”

“Well you could have lost your wife and an unborn child last night. Was that not a rude awakening?” Caelum demanded.

“Of course, it was. I can’t do anything about it now.” Drayce said as evenly as he could. “We both know the root of your problem. You’re mad that I forced you away from Ella and Cassian.”

“Of course, I am! Drayce you can be really selfish sometimes. When do I get what I want? Never. Just because I’m not as pushy as you are.” Caelum’s face was pink with anger.

“Caelum, you’re in employ of the crown. It was your duty to come with me.” Drayce said exasperated. Though part of him knew that saying that would only make matters worse.

“Both of you stop!” Lillia interrupted. “We’re all overly exhausted. Maybe we can find a place to rest, and then decide what to do.”

Drayce and Caelum didn’t break eye contact, glaring at each other.

“Excuse me.” a timid voice said from behind them. Drayce finally broke eye contact and turned towards the woman. Her grey dress was all but rags. She had a hair scarf keeping her dull, greying, brown hair back. She twisted her fingers around nervously and looked around, as if she was scared someone would overhear them.

“Yes?” Lillia asked kindly. She glanced at Drayce and Caelum with a look that said behave.

“Me name is Hanelle.” She said quietly. “Ye travelers be welcome to stay at me home, though I’m afraid it’s not much and crowded.”

Drayce found himself confused. Why would this lady, Hanelle, offer to help them? She likely heard them arguing. Despite that she wanted to invite them into her home?

“Thank you, as long as it won’t be a bother.” Lillia said. She sounded a tad bemused herself.

Hanelle didn’t say anything, just waved them to follow her. They soon found themselves standing in front of a small cottage. The thatched roof looked old. It was needing repairs in several spots. The quaint house couldn’t be more than two or three rooms. The yard was small and an eyesore. It consisted of dead grass and weeds. There was a broken fence surrounding the house. Regardless Drayce felt grateful for this woman’s hospitality. Caelum tied the horse to the fence and unhitched the horse so it could rest.