Chapter Twenty-Five

Lillia gasped as she heard what Zathrian said. If what he said was true, then all of them were in danger. She sat in an open adjacent cell to Zathrian’s. It gave her shivers to know how close she was to her murderer. But curiosity had won out. She had to know what was so important that Drayce and Caelum had put themselves in danger to hear.

Her mind was reeling. It was happening again. He was getting stronger. It seemed that things were just going to get worse from here. All Drayce and Caelum knew was that this god was getting stronger and that he needed a sufficient host to…do what? She zoned back to the present to hear Caelum and Drayce talking.

“…talk to him again tomorrow.” Caelum was saying.

“That was beyond weird. I saw it with my own eyes. He was being controlled by some dark magic.” Drayce said “Will he even be coherent enough to talk to tomorrow? And how do we know who we’re talking to?”

Caelum didn’t respond.

Lillia heard some footsteps approaching. She tried to melt further into the shadows. Drayce and Caelum walked past her cell. Drayce glanced into the cell and stopped.

“You go on Caelum. I just want to check on something.” Drayce said.

Caelum looked at him strangely but didn’t argue, walking out of Lillia’s sight.

Drayce smiled and walked through the open door of the cell. “Are you a criminal now?” he asked moving to sit next to her.

“No. I wanted to hear what was so important.” Lillia said.

“Well? What are your thoughts on it?” he asked looking down at his hands.

“I think he’s absolutely insane, but that probably goes without saying.” Lillia said. “I don’t think we can trust Zathrian to be a reliable resource.”

Drayce nodded. “What does this all mean? I feel like I still don’t have a grasp on what is happening.”

Lillia shrugged. “I don’t know.” They sat there in silence for a moment. Lillia heard footsteps approaching from the other direction. A prison guard saw the open door and shook his head. He slammed it shut and locked it with his keys and left.

“Hey!” Drayce exclaimed standing and grabbing the bars. “Unlock this door!” he said authoritatively. Either the guard ignored him or didn’t hear.

“Now it seems we’re both criminals.” Lillia said laughing.

“No, you’re the criminal, I’m the victim who was unfortunate enough to get locked in the cell with you.” Drayce said chuckling. It sounded a bit forced. He pulled on the bars, making the bars rattle.

“Caelum!” He shouted. He reached through the bars and felt at the lock, which was futile. He didn’t have a key.

“Caelum!” Drayce shouted again, all hint of joviality gone from his face. He was breathing hard, his eyes darting around frantically. Lillia touched his arm, “Are you all right?” He jumped at her touch.

“Yeah,” he cleared his throat, covering his eyes with his hand. “Memories…”

Lillia remembered that moment a couple months ago when he had freaked out when she had dropped her book. “Caelum!” She yelled.

He took a deep breath, attempting a smile. “I’m just claustrophobic, I guess.” He shook the bars again.

Caelum came around the corner looking straight at them. “What in Non’s name?” How did you both get locked in a cell?”

“Just let us out.” Drayce said impatiently.

Caelum got a mischievous smile. “I don’t have the keys; I’ll need to go get them.”