Chapter Thirty-Nine

After the proper introductions were made, they made their way from the sitting room to the dining room. Lillia couldn’t help but feel nervous. She had an inkling that Drayce was not going to make this night easy on Caelum, but for reasons she couldn’t describe to even herself, she was feeling mischievous herself.

She almost laughed out loud at that thought. Drayce must be rubbing off on her. Months ago, she never would’ve been up to anything of the sort. As she thought back on it, it might be a good change. She felt happier with life. Of course, that could just be the elation of being a newlywed.

She looked over at Caelum, escorting Ella Rose and holding Cassian in the other arm. She felt her heart warm. They would make a lovely couple, a lovely family. Caelum’s adoration was obvious, but she didn’t know Ella well enough to gage her feelings.

She seemed like a kind person. She was sweet and had a happy personality. She could understand why Caelum was smitten. However, she knew that if anything was to ever happen, Caelum would need a push in the right direction.

Lillia leaned her head closer to Drayce’s. He leaned closer to hear her.

“Don’t humiliate him too much.” She said.

He cracked a smile. “Now why would I do that?”

“I had a feeling.”

He gave her an expression of mock innocence. Lillia just shook her head and gave him a look of reprimand, that didn’t seem to sway him at all.

They entered the dining room and Drayce pulled her chair out and push it in under her. She sat at his right hand. She thanked the heavens that the King and Queen agreed to dine separately tonight. Their presence would have ruined everything.

Ella Rose looked uncomfortable, but she was obviously trying to hide it. She was fussing over Cassian who was trying to stab his fork into the tabletop. Lillia smiled. That boy was adorable.

Some servants brought in the first course and left. Drayce didn’t want to waste any time.

“So,” he said addressing Ella Rose. “How long have you and Caelum known each other?”

Lillia rolled her eyes. He already knew the answer to that. He must be trying to lead the conversation somewhere.

“Four years.” She replied simply, averting her gaze after answering.

“Wow, that’s a long time.” Drayce said giving Caelum a pointed look that almost made Lillia crack up. Annoyance flashed across Caelum’s features.

“Yes.” Ella said finally looking up. “He’s been very sweet to Cassian and I.”

“I’m sure he has. Caelum is very kind.” Lillia said.

“Well, not all the time, but I’m sure you don’t want to about that.” Drayce said waving his hand dismissively. He left the bait. Lillia smiled into her cup looking at Caelum. He looked extremely uncomfortable.

“Drayce, that’s not necessary.” Caelum said annoyed.

“Don’t be rude, Caelum. I was addressing Mrs. Thrindrell.” Drayce said.

“It’s just Ella Rose.” She got a sparkle in her eyes watching Drayce, who was on the verge of laughter, and Caelum, who looked like he would flip a lid. “I would love to hear a story about Caelum.”

Lillia laughed as Drayce sat up straighter, dramatically clearing his throat. “Well there was one time, Caelum came up with the idea that if you tied a key to your face, then you’d get struck by lightning during a storm and you would gain superpowers.”