Chapter Eighty-Four

"Holy Zavian! Is he drunk?" Lillia exclaimed as Caelum entered the bedchamber, helping Drayce stumble in. He looked about ready to collapse. "I've never seen him drink a drop of alcohol."

Caelum smirked. "He used to more in the military, most definitely not in recent years, though. I must take some blame for this though."

It was late. Everyone else in the castle was probably asleep by now. Lillia felt absolutely rotten after her "fit" earlier, a fit she couldn't even remember. That was concerning, but she had been worried about Drayce. He had acted concerned, almost scared, for her then had disappeared for hours. She had wanted to wait up for him. She had almost given up. She had actually been about to extinguish the lamps. She hadn't expected him to come back completely hammered.

Drayce clumsily pushed Caelum away and groaned as he dropped onto the bed. Caelum pulled his shoes off and moved over to Lillia.

"We need to talk. Yes, good friends get their friends drunk to get answers." Caelum said.

"That's why he's drunk?" Lillia demanded. "You little devil." She accused.

Caelum raised his hands up in surrender. "Hey, he chose to drink. I only encouraged him." He motioned to the door to the sitting room. "I would wait till tomorrow, but I would like to discuss this before Drayce realizes what he's done and swears me to silence."

"Probably wise." Lillia said managing a chuckle. All she wanted to do was to lie down and sleep, but she needed to hear what Caelum had to say.

They sat down and she waited for him to start. He looked deeply disturbed by whatever he had to say. "Do you know the reason for your...illness?" Caelum asked watching her carefully.

She looked at him with mock concern on her face. "Well, right now, I'm pregnant. I know you've probably never really been around someone who is carrying..."

"Lillia," Caelum interrupted, annoyed. "This is serious, we both know what I'm talking about.

"How do you...?" She trailed off. "Drayce told you, but how does he know?"

"Just tell me what you know." Caelum said rubbing a weary hand across his face.

She nodded reluctantly. "I watched this happen to both Calder and Kesdan. I'm not severe yet, however."

Caelum nodded. "Why didn't you confide in anyone?"

Lillia felt a surge of annoyance, even anger. She almost huffed. "Who? Who could I have told? Drayce looks apprehensive every time the subject comes up, you have your own problems that are apparently bad enough that you broke off your courtship, and Ella is almost completely ignorant." Caelum looked like he had just been punched in the gut. Good. She thought spitefully. He should know the consequences of his actions and feel guilty. Part of her was shocked at that those callous thoughts. She was usually more compassionate than that, wasn't she?

"You broke her heart, you should know. I've been dealing with Ella's tears the past few days, while you've been off doing Zavian knows what. Little Cassian has been asking about you. He doesn't understand your selfishness any more than I do. How long do you expect to avoid them?" Lillia asked, her voice completely lacking its usual gentleness.

Caelum looked shocked at her outburst. Lillia felt surprised at herself as well. Her mouth fell open. "Oh Zavian." She breathed. "Caelum I'm so sorry. I—I don't know what came over me..." Her excuses died before they left her mouth.

Caelum's expression darkened. "I do." He sighed wearily. Lillia saw deep regret in his eyes. "Lillia do you remember when Drayce healed you in the Well?" he asked.

What did that have to do with anything? She thought back. "He stabbed me." She said grimacing at the recollection. She touched the exact spot unconsciously "He pulled the knife out, then—then..." She trailed off, "I don't know. I think I blacked out for a moment. The next thing I knew I was healed and felt as normal as could be expected."

"Drayce feels awful. He's been beating himself up for the past week. Evidenced by his moment of rare indulgence tonight." Caelum prefaced. "When he healed you, I think he used the residual power from Keir inside of him, into you." Caelum said.

Lillia gasped. "From when he was possessed." She said. Caelum nodded grimly.

Lillia didn't know what to think of that. He had healed her, had saved her life. But in doing so resigned her to a fate worse than death.

***

One year and nine months ago.

"Calder!" Lillia shrieked when he grabbed her. "Let go of me." She said as forcefully as she could, which wasn't very convincing. She had always been too timid for her own good.

"Mystic kings and the majesty of the people are the key. Lamia opposition if not squelched will be to fear." Calder hissed in her face. She cringed away. She didn't understand what was happening to him. The doctors said that it was likely to pass, that it was merely a side effect of the stress he was under. Lillia had a sick feeling it was worse than that. Those nonsense things he kept spouting, they sounded familiar, but she couldn't quite place them.

Lillia cringed away "Calder." She pleaded, her voice strained. She had thought this was a day of respite. She had suggested they go get some fresh air when that had been the worse thing for her. She had been wrong. Now she was with Calder alone. They were betrothed so it wasn't scandalous, but that was not what she was worried about.

He shoved her away, his hands leaving bruises where he had gripped. She stumbled backwards, tripping on a stone bench and falling into a bare rose bush. She cried out in sudden pain. Calder's faraway eyes seemed to focus, and he looked at her in surprise.

He hurried over to her, and Lillia forced herself not to cringe away. He helped her up, and Lillia extricated her dress from the bush.

"I'm sorry, Lillia." Calder whispered.

All she managed was a nod. Situations like this were becoming more and more frequent. She couldn't help but tremble. "Calder, you're scaring me. This is happening way too often." Lillia whispered. She turned away from him.

Calder wrapped his arms gently around her. Lillia couldn't help the shudder of revulsion that coursed down her spine at his touch. She could hardly tell that those arms belonged to the same man you had just hurt her. "I'm scaring myself." He admitted. "I don't know what to do."

She forced herself to lean into him slightly. If only for his comfort. It wasn't his fault all this was happening, after all. "I'm here for you, but I don't know how to help." She said.

"Let me in, Lillia. I can give you the power to save those you love." He hissed in her ear.