Chapter Thirty-Two

“Where is that good-for-nothing wench?” Drayce heard his Uncle bellow so loud, he was sure they could hear him on the other side of Kamasia.

Anger instantly flared inside him as he watched the King of Kamasia storm down the corridor, like a child, towards him. He let him approach, trying to adopt an air of calm, that was proving to be elusive.

“Who are you looking for, Uncle?” Drayce asked.”

“The trash you call a wife. She stole something from me!” The King yelled despite their proximity.

Drayce felt his calm completely leave him. Though he did feel a bit of amusement. Lillia had stolen from King Reginald? He almost laughed, she definitely had spice. “She’s not trash, and I would like you to stop demeaning her as such.” He said vehemently. “What did she steal?” Drayce asked as calmly as he could, glaring daggers at the man.

“I don’t need to answer to you! Tell me where she is so I can…” The King trailed off, realizing his mistake, but a hint of a challenge flickered in his eye.

“So, you can what?” Drayce growled, clenching his fists.

“Put her in her place.” The King said, finally matching Drayce’s volume. “You do not steal from the King.”

Drayce clenched his jaw. “What did she take? Tell me and I’ll tell you where she is.” He bluffed. The King was livid. It peaked Drayce’s curiosity.

“A book, you insolent boy. Tell me where she is!” The King said, his face crimson.

Drayce felt his lips twitch, a book? Finally, he let go, roaring with laughter. That seemed to make the King more outraged.

Drayce got his laughter under control. “A book? Uncle there’s a whole library of books, I can show you where it is if you’ve forgotten. There’s no saying Lillia stole it. You could’ve left it out and a maid returned it to the shelf.” He said still chuckling a little.

The King grabbed Drayce’s upper arm painfully, but Drayce kept the surprise out of his face. “I know she’s the one who took it. Make sure she brings it back before the day’s over, or I will call for an execution.” The King hissed in Drayce’s ear.

Drayce ripped his arm from the King’s grip. “Execution? Uncle, that’s a bit dramatic, over a simple book.”

“Don’t underestimate me, Shalddwell. More than one head will roll if that book isn’t returned.” With that, the loony King left.

***

“I’ll be right back.” Caelum said his face unreadable. He quickly crossed the street back to where Elowen stood.

Lillia watched in silence as Caelum gave Elowen a hug and picked up the little boy tossing him in the air and catching him again. Cassian erupted into a fit of giggles. Lillia smiled, despite her worries, at the sweet sight she saw play out in front of her.

Elowen and her son retreated into her house. Caelum jogged back over to Lillia. He rolled his eyes when he saw her smile

“It’s obvious you have some vital information that we’ve been missing. Will you come back to the castle with me?” Caelum said.

“No. Caelum, I couldn’t live with myself if you all died!” Lillia said her smile vanishing.

“Lillia, did it ever occur to you that we could fight this?” Caelum asked.

“That’s what Kesdan said, before he died the next day.” Lillia said drawing into herself, thinking about that horrible day.

Caelum cleared his throat awkwardly. “Come back to the castle.” He said.