Chapter Eighteen

Young Lillia sat on a bench in the sun on the palace grounds. She kept looking around nervous. No one knew what she was doing except her maid. She touched her damp hair. This venture was probably foolish. She didn’t even know if it was working.

She had overheard some traders that had visited her parents, that if you combined soda ash and hydrogen peroxide that it would bleach her hair. Her young mind had clamped onto the idea.

She could be blond. Maybe even white, like her parents! It sickened her to think of being red for the rest of her life. Everyone who saw her got that “look”. That look that said judgement. It ranged from hatred to pity, none of them pleasant.

She thought that it was all about her hair color. If she could change it then maybe her parents would love her, and people wouldn’t look at her with resentment.

“Lillia Leroux! What are you doing?” A voice demanded. Lillia tensed. Oh no.

She slowly turned to see her Mother standing behind her. Her Mother was a tall, slim woman. She had long flowing white hair, with a slight curl to it. Her angry violet eyes bore into hers. “I was—I don’t know.” She said unhelpfully.

Your tutor has been looking for you! Can’t you behave? At least then you’d have something going for you!” Her Mother was a beautiful, but stern woman. “Why is your hair wet? It’s the middle of the day.” She asked stepping forward and grabbing a chunk of Lillia’s hair.

“Well…I…” Lillia shifted as her Mother yanked her hair.

“This isn’t water. What did you put in your hair?” Her Mother demanded.

“Soda ash and peroxide.” Lillia responded. She felt tears in her eyes.

Lillia’s mother released her hair. “Foolish girl. You can’t bleach the abomination out of your hair.”

Tears broke from Lillia’s eyes. “I just wanted to be like you. So maybe…” So maybe you’d love me.

“You’ll never be like us, Lillia.” Her mother’s face was flushed with anger. “You’re our curse from the gods that we reluctantly must take care of.”

Lillia looked down at her feet, ashamed. “Sorry.” She whispered.

“No number of apologies in this world can change what happened. The best you can do is to do as you’re told.” Her Mother turned and started back to the palace.

“Mother?” Lillia called. She had a question that had been burdening her young heart for some time, she just hadn’t found the courage to ask.

She turned back to look at her. “Why did you name me after lilies? Their pedals are white.” Lillia asked.

“Lilies are a flower of mourning. Roses however are not.” Her Mother said. She hastily left Lillia to stew on that.

***

Lillia woke with a start. She hadn’t thought back on that memory for a long time. At the time she hadn’t completely understood her Mother’s answer. Now she did.

“How are you doing?” Someone asked.

Lillia looked over to see Drayce sitting by her bed. He looked exhausted. His shirt rumpled and circles under his eyes. Even his hair seemed messier than usual.

“Drayce? Did you sleep at all?” She asked.

He smiled at her. “I didn’t ask how I was doing. I asked how you’re doing.”

She huffed. “Evasive as usual. I feel immensely better than I did last night. My legs still burn though.”

He nodded. “Ill go tell D’Hara to change your bandages.” Lillia caught his hand as he stood.