41 - Saved

Two weeks and two days later

Andrew's perspective 

"We can not blame Andrew, he saved her life and brought her home." Mrs Cross whispered from outside the hospital room. As I begin to wake up Mr Cross's frustration grew within his harsh remarks and I could feel both their eyes and worry as they watch their daughter, Mr Cross especially when he threw daggers at my back. "Saved? She's bearly breathing Maya."

Mr Cross hadn't said the word since he found out about Tiana's abduction but I guess he was beyond lost for words. We both knew there wasn't something right since she came home with Nickola but he still managed to put together the problem to why this had all happened. He knows that I love his daughter too much to let anything happen to her. All I can do is hope that Mr Cross would find his peace.

The door had creaked open, but I laid still beside Tiana, holding her hand as if my life depended on it. "Don't be so hard on the boy, Tony." Mrs Cross whispered. At this point I didn't want to wake up, I didn't want to listen to the same conversation over and over again, I didn't want to be blamed anymore or given hate by the people I love the most.

Mr Cross sighed regrettably and as I cracked open my eye he pinched his the bridge of his nose with frustration and began to walk up towards me. Quickly I shut my eye. "Andrew." He spoke softly, thinking I was still asleep he clasped onto my shoulder gently, waking me gently. I sat up, half asleep as Tony backed away still with a firm hand on my shoulder while I pulled a small smile, he looked at me with regret as if he had something to say, but he bit onto his tongue and shot me a pitiful smile. "You need to go, home son. It's been a whole week."

Despite all the disbelief and all kinds of disapproval, I never left or missed a day at the hospital. Hard and lonely with a constant reminder of regret and sorrow. Every day, I took Tiana's limp hand in mine, watching her face as she slept. Talking to her about all the little things that she had missed, what she would see when she woke up and how I was waiting for her just to see her smile again. But every day I was also reminded to leave, to give her some time and space to herself and others. But couldn't, I could risk losing her again or not be by her side when she woke up.

I just couldn't.

"I can't," I said to Mr Cross, he had sighed and shook his head. "You need some proper sleep." 

"It can wait,-" I said laying back in the chair, adjusting myself as I closed my eyes, "-I have to be here when she wakes up."

Once again Mr Cross let out a tsk and shot a look to his wife as if he was right as if this pep-talk wouldn't work, but when Mrs Cross insisted on something, it had to be done. So he tried again. 

"Andrew listen. She's not going to wake up anytime soon" He sterned, by now I was fully awake and aware of his emotions. My eyes snapped open but didn't look at him, because by his tone I knew what he was about to say.

"I- I'm sorry. I shouldn't blame you. I know this wasn't your fault and everything you did wasn't and isn't ever properly acknowledged. From the first time to the very last I doubted you and your intentions with Tiana. You saved her life. Twice. I just never knew - never knew how to Thank you."

Tears form in Tony's eyes and for the first time in my life, I have seen the strongest man crumble. I stood to my feet as he put his two fingers to his forehead to sault me, "from the bottom of my heart-" He spoke rasping as a tear forming in his eye. "-I thank you for all you have done for this family."

With dissolving tears I threw my arms around him, and as the man, he is he did the same. Never in a million years did I think I was going to share a bond with my Girl-friends farther like this. Never in a million years did I think he was going to hold me as tight as this, never in a million years did I think I would ever see him cry or never in a million years did I ever think he would be thanking me. This was by far an unforgettable moment that I would cherish for the rest of my life.

"Thank you, Tony." I sniffed. This is all I can say after so long, this was like years of unconfirmed approval. He stiffly nodded his head onto my shoulder as he patted my back as he pulled away, "now please for the love of God, go home and have a shower."

We all let out a small laugh as I nodded. 

My attention fell back onto Tiana and I smiled. "I'll be back tomorrow." 

***

 I didn't relise how much pain I was in and how exhausted I could be until now it is as if a wave had hit me and every single emotion had crossed my soul turning me into something I shouldn't be.

Still, in confusion to why Alexander would do all this, it has been two weeks of sitting in a quiet room and trying to put the pieces together, but I'm too tired and by now I thought to myself does it even really matter anymore. Not long ago there were plans of revenge and brains storms of games till one of us had lost. Every little detail of manipulation was sketched out to the core.

 I shook my head taking a beer out of the fridge. Revenge and karma had taken its place that's for sure.

Back in the past I hoped and prayed that one day Alex would change, give us and the whole family a chance to help him heal, but nothing could save him when he turned against us. Maybe even for a split second, I pretended that everything was normal, that Alex was sober and we were a family, I thought of him like real blood but nothing can ever change my mind in order of forgiveness, nothing changed to change his and our life.

Now Alexander is dead and I felt nothing but void. No pain, no sorrow and no regret by witnessing and wishing on his death; it was just like another mission. Based upon law enforcement Alex was the number one wanted man in the state, if he went to prison he would have died in there but like this, Nickola set him free, heaven or hell in both worlds he would have been happier than the life he was living.

Ah, Nickola.

My mind had only grown worse when I realised he was never coming back, I need a way to get in contact with Nickola again, but I knew that was now impossible. Hence the discounted number, two large stacks of cash and a small note stating his sincere apology and regret that hidden under Tiana's pillow at the hospital.

Nickola barely stayed when he drove us to the hospital, he bearly even walked halfway to see Tiana disappear into the operating room but when I turned back around, he was on knelt on the ground gripping onto his hair with grief and regret, the violence and frustration had blown out of him like a chimney before he burst into tears. Right there I knew, he had done nothing worse but almost kill the only girl he possibly ever loved. 

But deep down I understood why he did what he did, I understood the pain and controversial consequences he had to sacrifice for his family. Any man would do anything he can to protect his family.

Whisking away to the basement I sighed as I looked around. This mess needed to be cleaned, the evidence needed to be destroyed and any kind of personal information on Alexander and Nickola had to be wiped as if they never existed.

It was at least I can do for Nickola for saving mine and Tiana's life.

It was the right thing to do.

My thoughts were to call in Andre and Ray to use their final favour, but maybe this time I should spear them time for everything they have already done. I could do this alone.

With a few clicks and coding, I hi-jacked the government's system beginning to remove anything related to Nickola and Alexander. But it seems as if someone was already three steps ahead of me; no result had come up within their names and no kind of information was found, dead or alive they were already ghosts. Maybe it was Nick or maybe it was Ray that hacked the system, but all I know it was one less problem to worry about.

So I start to clean up. From the blood that was smeared across the floor and chairs, to everything I have touched and used it was cleaned, bleached and dusted.

I was like cinderella but soulless.

Taking off my shirt and shoes I placed them into a giant trash bag along with all the filed evidence and information I had collected of Nickola and Alex. I tied up the bag and lit up the giant fireplace throwing them in, watching all of it disintegrate.

And just like that, they were ghosts. 

Just like that, there was no longer a worry in the world. 

I was safe.

Tiana is safe.

And this time I saved my family knowing Alexander is dead.