4: Sophie's stupid blog

"Hey, do you have an extra toothbrush? I didn't know that I was gonna be staying here." I ask Hayley.

"Sure. They have extra supplies in the main office, but you'll need more than that for the rest of the year." She says, grabbing a toothbrush from her locker.

"Thanks, but I only need to get through the month." I say, taking the box from her.

"Hey, Ramirez. Check this out." I hear Leo say as Hayley shuts her locker. 

He then shows me a picture of Carter on Sophie's blog and I clench my jaw.

"What the fuck." I trail off as I grab Leo's Louie, zooming in on the picture.

"Hey, calm down. I'm sure it's nothing." Hayley says, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"So this is why he's been ignoring my texts? To look like some asshole on Sophie's stupid blog?" I say, reading the little boxes with captions on it.

"The Eagles could've made him do it, Val. We don't know, okay?" Hayley says.

"I do. I know my brother." I state, tossing the Louie back at Leo.

I then turn on my heels, walking out of the locker room, trying to reach the Eagles'a clubhouse.

"Ramirez!" I hear Leo say but I ignore him.

I can't just sit around and let these people walk all over my brother and I. Like I said, I won't be brainwashed.

"Ramirez! Stop!" Leo says, grabbing my wrist, pulling me back.

"Let go of me, Leo!" I say through gritted teeth.

"Then stop wasting your energy on bullshit, and support your team." He states, looking down at me.

"My family isn't bullshit. Joining this stupid school was." I say.

"If you hate it so much, then why are you still here?" He says.

"My brother is here and I wanna be here for him and this is where my mom worked and I'm trying to continue her legacy but I can't because people like Daniel, Brooke and Sophie are fucking it up for me!" I exclaim, pulling away from him.

"C'mon, Ramirez!" Leo exclaims.

"No, I'm done! You can do the stupid fucking opening challenge without me. I need some fucking air. I feel like a damn prisoner here." I mutter, my eyes getting watery as I walk through the exit doors.

                                         ||

After three full hours of listening to music and writing out my anger, I finally made the decision to withdraw my statement from earlier. I will be doing the opening challenge that's supposed to occur in about a half hour.

I leave my headphones around my neck, close my journal as I slip my pen in my hoodie pocket and walk back inside to reach the clubhouse.

I let out a deep breath before putting on my hood and opening the door.

"The opening challenge is the first competition between the two houses. Now house wants to lose its first challenge." I hear Leo say as everyone is gathered around the couch.

"Because winning is the only option?" I hear Emma say.

"Exactly." Leo says.

"Val, are you okay?" I hear Hayley say as she gets up, jogging over to me.

I simply nod at her, swallowing the lump in my throat as Max gives me a sorrowful look.

"C'mon, sit with us." Hayley says as she takes my hand and I end up sitting next to her on the couch.

"Where were you?" Max whispers to me.

"Just getting some air." I croak out, tightly clutching my journal.

"For three hours and five minutes?" Max says, checking his watch.

Hayley sends him a glare, causing Max to mutter a sorry and to go back to his seat.

"Look, the Eagles beat us last year. The legacy of our house is at stake. When we lose, I feel sick. And when I feel sick, I'm not nice. And you want me to be nice, don't you?" Leo says everyone nods their heads.

"Yes, captain!" I hear Max say.

"You know, you don't have to call him captain." Jackie mutters to him.

"You with us, Ramirez?" Leo asks, looking into my eyes and then there's silence.

I simply nod my head at him, then looking down to realize Hayley's grip on my hand never left.

"Okay. Let's go, Ravens! Let's go, Ravens!" Leo says and soon everyone cheers with him.

"C'mon, let's partner up, okay?" Hayley says to me and I slowly nod as everyone starts to move out and we follow behind.

"Valerie!" Carter says, waving his hand at me.

"Excuse me." I quickly tell Hayley as I walk up to Carter, slapping him.

"Ow! What the hell was that for?" He huffs, holding the right side of his cheek.

"So, now you wanna talk? After avoiding me to pose for Sophie's stupid blog?" I say to him through gritted teeth.

"Look, I'm sorry I missed your texts. I was really busy last night." Carter huffs.

"Yeah, busy caring about Sophie's blog." I state.

"You saw it too?" He says and I nod as Daniel and Brooke pass by, looking us up and down with disgust.

"Yeah, I did. You didn't think I would find out? Whatever, go join your team. You don't wanna be seen talking with the enemy. Watch your back, okay?" I say, giving him a glare as I turn on my heels, walking back over to Hayley.

"Sorry you had to see that." I mutter to her.

"It's fine. It's not my business and Alex and I argue like that all the time." She says, hugging me and I let out a chuckle as we make our way to the classroom.

Was I wrong for blowing up on Carter like that?