7: The broken Louie

"So?" I say to Jackie as she finally walks out of the office.

She then stares down at the floor, her face dropping in the process.

"Jackie." I slowly trail off as I sense Leo and Max behind me.

"Just kidding. I passed the test." She says, shooting us a smile.

"Thank god." I say, letting out a relived sigh.

"I knew you would pass! Even though, statistically speaking, innocent people fail lie detector tests fifty percent of the time, and the guilty are more used to the psychodynamics of lying on a regular basis, so-" Max quickly says but Leo interrupts him by putting a hand in his shoulder.

"Shut up." Leo says and I chuckle.

"They're just numbers. They don't really mean anything." Max mutters, nodding his head at Jackie.

"Thanks, Valerie." Jackie nods at me with a grin.

"No problem. Anytime you need someone to take a lie detector test for you, I'm your girl." I tell her.

"Cool." Jackie says and I chuckle.

"Have you taken one before?" Max asks me.

"Max." Emma says.

"It's okay. And yeah, I have. A few times, actually." I nod at Max.

"Why?" Max says, pushing further.

"I admire your determination, Max. But I've only taken them for business things and one bad event at a party." I tell him.

"What happened?" Emma asks.

"It happened two years ago, doesn't really matter now. It's been taken care of." I say.

                                          ||

"You're pretty good, Ramirez. I think you're better than me." Leo says, holding the strap of his guitar case behind his back.

"Thanks. Now I get to live with knowing I'm better at something than Leo Cruz." I say, walking toward the clubhouse door.

"Very funny. You can start your own band now." He suggests.

"Maybe." I chuckle as I take out my Louie to open the door.

After a few tries, it doesn't seem to be working.

"What's wrong with my Louie?" I ask, trying to open the door with it once again.

"Here, let me see it." Leo says and I hand it to him.

"I've been having problems with it all day." I comment as he looks down at it.

"Um, that's because this is fake." He says.

"Are you sure? So where's my Louie?" I ask, taking it back from him.

"I'm checking to see if your real Louie had access last night." He says, typing away on his own Louie.

"Okay." I nod.

"There you are, five o'clock in the morning." Leo says, showing me the screen of his Louie.

"That's impossible, I was asleep." I say to him.

"Your Louie wasn't. Did leave your music on while you fell asleep? Maybe they both connected with bluetooth." Leo asks.

"No, I turned it off. I went to bed at midnight. What the hell?" I scoff, thinking for a moment.

"You meet any Eagles yesterday?" He asks, shutting his Louie off.

"No. Why would I hangout with them?" I say.

"What about your brother?" He hesitantly says.

"I saw him at the cafeteria and we made up and hugged it out, but..." I trail off as a lightbulb goes off in my mind.

Fucking Carter, man.

"So that's why they were being so nice to him. He stole my Louie so they could break into our clubhouse." I say through gritted teeth.

Can't believe how low Carter went for the stupid Eagles.

"I'm gonna kill him. I'm gonna fucking kill him!" I exclaim.

"Ramirez, calm down." Leo says.

"No, Leo! Ever since Carter got into this school, he's been nothing but an asshole! And since I got in, all this school has done is give me high blood pressure." I say, turning on my heels.

"Valerie, stop." He says, grabbing my wrist.

"Leo, let go of me." I mutter, trying to pull away but his grip gets tighter.

"Just breathe. And then go talk to your brother. With words, not violent actions." He says, looking me in the eyes.

My face softens as I finally let out a breath and Leo's grip on my arm finally gets removed.

"You okay now?" He asks.

"Yeah, thanks." I nod, running my fingers through my hair.

"Good. Now, go find your brother. Talk to him and enjoy the fresh air." He says and I chuckle at our inside joke.

                                        ||

"Tell me it isn't true, Carter!" I exclaim, trying to catch up with him along the shore.

"What?" He says, his back still turned to me.

"Did you steal my Louie?" I ask, blocking his way.

He then looks at me and then down at his feet, letting out a huff.

"Did you hug me and make peace with me just to take my Louie?" I ask him once again.

He then puts his hands on his hips, almost like he's thinking about something.

"Carter, is it true?!" I say again.

"What do you want from me?" He states, glaring at me.

"The truth!" I say to him.

He just gives me another look and walks off, continuing his jog on the beach.

That's it, I've had it.

                                       ||

"Drop something?" Louis says and I look up at him as I retract my hand from the floor.

"Oh, hey." I say, now standing up

"Hey. Are you going on vacation, already? You just got here." Louis jokes.

"Actually, I've decided to go home." I inform him.

"Oh. Was it the polygraph test?" He asks me.

"No. It's just that this place is a little too much for me." I say.

"You know, the first few days at the Greenhouse are always the most stressful. I'd be worried about you if you were feeling fine right now." He says.

"I know what you mean, but it's not that. It's just not for me." I say.

He simply nods at me.

"Can you make sure Carter gets this? And take care of him." I ask, handing Louis an envelope.

"Yes, I will. Just know that our door is always open to you. If you change your mind, don't hesitate to come back." He says to me.

"Thank you, Louis." I nod at him as I turn on my heels, making my way to my clubhouse to give Leo his letter.

Guess this goodbye, Leo.

Unless you take the time to text me with my number that I left on the bottom corner of the paper.