8: Coming back

It's been my second day home and all I've done is clean up after my dad, play guitar and type away entries on my laptop.

I then hear a knock on my door.

"Yeah." I simply say, still typing away on my laptop.

The door opens and I see my dad slowly walk over to me.

"What?" I say.

"As usual, you were right." He says, taking a seat on my bed.

"About what?" I say, looking at him.

"I have to move on with my life. Thanks for reminding me what's important." He says and I give him a grin.

"You're welcome." I say and he hugs me.

"Oh, and one more thing." My dad says, getting up from my bed, walking toward my door.

"Yeah?" I say, looking up at him.

"This guy just showed up." He says and a grinning Leo appears, waving at me and my letter in his other hand.

"Hey." I grin as I get up from my bed and jump in his arms.

"Hey, Ramirez." Leo responds as my dad sends me a wink, heading downstairs.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, pulling away from
him.

"Just thought I'd pay you a little visit." He shrugs I chuckle.

"You didn't have to, thank you." I say and he nods, grinning down at me.

"I got your letter. You have crazy good handwriting, let me tell you." He comments and I scoff.

"Thanks. You want some water?" I offer.

"Sure." He nods.

"Okay, I'll be back in a second." I say as I leave my room.

I then jog downstairs into the kitchen and grab a cold water bottle from the fridge.

"Is that the Leo kid?" My dad asks me.

"Yes, dad. That's Leo." I chuckle at him.

"He's a keeper, honey. He seems like a very good kid." He says.

"Thanks, dad." I nod, going back up the stairs.

I then open the door to see Leo quickly closing one of my drawers.

"What are you doing?" I ask, raising an eyebrow as I hand him his water.

"Just looking for embarrassing photos of you from second grade." He says, looking at the books on my shelf.

"Don't even think about it." I say, shooing him away and he chuckles.

I then take a seat on my bed, waiting for him to sit next to me.

"So, Leo, you here to give me an inspirational speech about why I belong at the Greenhouse?" I huff, crossing my legs.

"I don't do speeches, Ramirez. I just wanted to see where you grew up." He says, looking at my record player and some vinyls.

"Look, I just came home to be with my dad." I simply say.

"Really? Is that the only reason?" He asks me.

"He needed me." I say in an obvious tone.

He nods at me, then taking a seat on the edge of my bed, just a little too close to me.

"What?" I say as I notice his stare on me.

"I don't know. Your dad needed you. Your brother needed you. When are you gonna stop taking care of everyone else and start taking care of yourself?" Leo asks me.

"I thought you don't do speeches." I say, raising my eyebrows at him.

"You brought out of me." He shrugs.

"Sure." I nod, chuckling at him.

"Seriously, Val. You do belong in the Greenhouse. It wouldn't be the same without you." He says.

"Is that what you say to everyone when they decide to leave?" I scoff.

"Not at all. Most of the time, I don't even like them much or I just kick them out." He says and I chuckle.

"Woah, badass Leo is being exposed." I say, tucking some hair behind my ear.

"It's been tough keeping that secret. So, gonna give this whole school thing another chance?" He asks, raising his eyebrows at me.

Ah, shit. Leo you're such an influencer and a persuasive talker.