22: More then just a vision

"Don't forget the blueberries!" I exclaim to dad as I flip over a pancake.

"Of course. Your mom would never forgive me if I left them out." Dad says as he opens the fridge and takes them out.

I then swallow the lump in my throat as he mentions mom, so I quickly turn my attention back on the pancake.

"Were you able to get some sleep? You sounded really stressed on the phone last night." He says, walking past me to fill up his mug with coffee.

"Uh, yeah, you know, it's not that easy to sleep after a five point two earthquake." I say and he chuckles.

"Yeah. I still can't believe you were caught in the middle of that earthquake." He says.

"Me neither." I scoff as he walks back to the dining room with forks in his hand.

"How's Carter?" Dad asks me.

"He's fine. Moody, but fine." I say.

"What's wrong with him?" He asks, setting the table for us.

"Hmm...girl trouble. He got his heart broken." I tell dad.

"Aw, poor little puppy. How's he's coping?" He asks me.

"You know how he is. He just shoots hoops all day." I say, putting the pancakes and bacon on the plate.

"Yeah." Dad chuckles as we walk over to the table.

I set the pancakes and bacon dish between us and we take our seats.

"What about you? How's Leo? I like that kid." My dad asks, putting a pancake on his plate.

"Well, then you'll love his girlfriend. She just came back from London and joined the Ravens." I say, grabbing the bottle of syrup.

"I'm so sorry, sweetie. He didn't mention he had a girlfriend?" Dad says.

"Nope." I shake my head, setting the syrup bottle back down.

"He knows your dad works for the FBI, right?" He jokes to me and I nod my head as we both chuckle.

"I love you, dad." I say, grinning up at him.

"I love you. You'll always be my girl." He says to me and I smile as we begin to eat our breakfast.

I then place my bacon on top of my pancake and take a bite out of it.

"So, a five point two earthquake, Leo's ex girlfriend... that's some week you've had." Dad says as he cuts his pancake.

"Yeah. And I was swimming when the earthquake hit and I almost drowned. And I saw mom." I slowly say, then looking up to see his reaction.

"When we talked on the phone, you didn't mention you were in the water." Dad says.

"I was. But that's not the point, dad. I saw mom." I say.

"Where?" He asks.

"In the water. And it was the strangest feeling. I mean, I really felt her presence. And I know I used to get used when you would say the same thing, but now, I kinda get it." I tell him.

"It makes sense for you to have these kinds of visions when you're in a life or death situation." Dad says.

"It was more than just a vision. I mean, what if mom is really alive?" I slowly ask him and he sighs.

"A smart girl once told me that I wouldn't be able to get on with my life until I came to terms with my wife's death. I'm not going to let you fall into the same trap I fell in." He says and I look down at my plate.

||

"Where is everything?" I ask dad as I walk into his office.

"What do you mean?" He says, looking up at me from his computer.

"Everything! The articles, the documents about mom?" I say.

"I threw it all out." He says, grinning at me.

"Why?" I state with wide eyes.

"Are you serious?" He scoffs at me.

"I can't believe you threw everything away." I say, shaking my head.

"You're the one who told me to do it." Dad says to me.

"Yeah, well, I wish you hadn't listened to me!" I exclaim at him.

"I'm glad I listened to you!" Dad shouts and I walk away from him.

  ||

"Mom." I whisper as I smell her perfume that I had rubbed on my wrists.

I then look into the mirror and look at myself, trying to picture mom.

But something reflects from the light on top of her mirror and I look up to see a gray piece sticking out over it.

I pull it from the wall and the mirror comes off, revealing some safeguard box thing and I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. I then stare at it as I try to thing of a code to open it.

"Our birthdays! Smart, mom." I say, typing the code into the mini safe on the wall.

The code works and I open the safe to see a metal prism with a serial number under it.

I then figure out how to turn it on and I choose to dial the serial number on it. Wanting to see what would happen. I put it behind my ear as it starts to rings.

"Hello?" A voice says.

"Hello? Who is this?" I say, furrowing my eyebrows together.

The voice sounds familiar, but I can't put my finger on who.