15: Surprises

"Valerie, focus, alright?" My dad says, waving his hand at me through the screen of my opened Louie.

"I can't decide. Which one do you like more?" I ask him, sighing.

"Why are you asking me? I don't have a clue. Your mom never wore dresses." My dad says.

"Let me see the emerald green one again." I tell him and he nods, holding it out.

"Here." He says, pushing his hand up.

"Could you just put it against yourself?" I ask him.

"What? Oh, come on. Sweetie, I'm already late for work." He says.

"I know, dad. And I'm really excited that you're back to your old job. But this is really important." I tell him.

"Okay." He gives in.

"Hmm. Show me the other one? Which one is more fifties? You're from the last century, you should know." I say.

"Yeah, I'm going to ignore that. Uh..." He trails off and I hear Max asking Jackie about the dance but she declined harshly.

Don't worry, Max.

"You know what, dad? Send me them both." I decide, nodding at him.

"Sure thing." He says and I blow him a kiss as I shut off my Louie.

I then stare at Jackie with an amused smile on my face.

"What's your problem?" She says, lifting her head up from her book.

"Nothing." I happy sigh.

||

"Guess I act too quickly, I'm probably a fool. Should I have taken one more breath and try and keep my cool. But all the time just never seems to be-"

"What is this?" I ask with a grin, walking over to Leo with his guitar, surrounded by a bunch of girls.

"Nothing. I can't tell you. It's a surprise." Leo says.

"I really hate surprises." I cringe at him.

"You'll love this one. Trust me." Leo grins, nodding at me.

"Now, what kind of school is this? Don't you kids have homework to do?" A voice says and I turn around.

"Dad!" I exclaim, hugging me.

"Hey." My dad waves to Leo and he waves back.

"I thought you were late for work?" I say.

"I told Chief Diggs that I had a special delivery to make first." He says and I smile.

"Thank you." I say as he hands me the two dresses for tonight's party.

"Oh, gosh. I haven't been here in years. Your mom always used to be up on this board when she was a student here." My dad says, pointing to the chalkboard.

"Hmm. No pressure." I say and we chuckle.

"That's nice." His voice cracks as his eyes wonder to the amazing picture of my mom in the frame.

"Yeah, it is." I say, gazing calmly at it.

"Which reminds me, I also brought you this. You're mom would've wanted you to wear it tonight." He says, handing me a brown box.

"It's beautiful. Thank you." I beam, holding up the pearl necklace in my hand.

||