19: The pop quiz

"Are they testing us on the entire book?" Jackie asks and I chuckle as I flip through another page of my math textbook.

"It could be anything." Max says.

"It's three hundred fucking pages!" Jackie exclaims at him.

"Actually, it's three hundred and fourteen plus the appendix. Some of it's just pictures, though." Max says and Jackie leans back into her chair, clearly irritated.

"Alright, listen you guys. I've got the list of subjects for the quiz. Linear Algebra-"

"Linear algebra, chapters one to three, leadership, American presidents before Lincoln, computer science, into to Java, psychology, learning and motivation, art history..." Aspen trails off as she snatches Leo's Louie from him, cutting him off.

"I am so fucked." Jackie says.

"Don't stress. You'll be fine." I tell Jackie.

"Guys? Can I have your attention, please? Thank you." Aspen says, mainly looking at Jackie and I.

"Who says I have to take orders from you?" I scoff, rolling my eyes as I cross my arms.

"I'm just trying to read, Val." Aspen says, matter of factly.

"It's Valerie. Not Val, not Ramirez, Valerie." I inform her and Leo looks at me.

"Why is she even reading the instructions? She's not even participating." Becca says.

"Thank god." I mutter to Becca.

"Actually, I am. I don't want any special treatment." Aspen says.

"Good, cause you sure as hell won't be getting any from me." I grimace at her.

"Do you have a problem with me?" Aspen says, handing Leo his Louie back.

"I thought I made that pretty clear already." I raise an eyebrow and Jackie snickers.

"Clearly not. I can't tell if you're being honest or if you're just being a bitch." Aspen spits and I snap the pencil in half with my thumb and Becca gasps.

"Listen, you little cunt-" I start, but Jackie grabs my shoulder.

"Hey, just chill out. She's only doing this to get a reaction out of you." Jackie mutters to me and I nod, glaring back at Aspen who is just smirking at me.

"Ravens, put away your books and gather around. This challenge has begun." Suzanne announces, walking in.

"C'mon." I mutter to Jackie and Hayley and they nod as we get up from our seats.

"You okay?" Leo asks, pulling my arm but I quickly retract it away from him, taking a seat next to Hayley.

"Okay, Ravens. Listen up. Each student will be asked a question in turn. You are not allowed to help each other. The Eagles are also going to be asked the same questions. Aspen, are you sure you wanna participate?" Suzanne asks her.

"Positive." Aspen says and Suzanne nods.

"Okay. Leo, we'll start with you. Which member of George Washington died after a duel?" Suzanne asks him.

"Alexander Hamilton." Leo responds.

"That's correct." Suzanne grins and everyone cheers for him.

"Okay, Aspen. What style of painting was developed by George Seurat?" She asks her.

"I hope you're not going easy on me because I just got here. Anyway, the answer is clearly pointillism." Aspen says.

"That's correct." Suzanne says and a few people clap for her.