45: Make it up to you

"Well, I hope you'll understand when I say, I hope never to see you again. You have to take it easy over the next several days." The doctor says and I nod at him.

"So, does that mean I can't do Eagle runs or cheerleading practice?" I ask him.

"Certainly not right now." The doctor tells me.

"Wimp." Alex mutters and I chuckle at him.

"Thank you for taking care of our baby." Mom says. shaking the doctor's hand.

"Thank you. Her blood cells have been harvested for an antidote to the virus should it ever present itself again. Now, get out of here." The doctor jokes and I laugh.

"Um, do you guys mind waiting? Just one minute." I say, turning on my heels.

I then walk down the hall until I reach Leo's room number. I open the door and he's gone.

"Um, excuse me? Do you know what happened to the patient that was in here? Leo Cruz?" I ask the doctor as she stops in her tracks.

"He was transferee to a rehab facility." She informs me.

"Already?" I say.

"He asked to leave first thing in the morning." The says, then walking away and my face drops.

I then walk back over to my parents and Alex and he looks down at me.

"He's gone." I state.

"Leo?" Mom asks.

"Yeah, to a rehab facility. I don't even know why he didn't say goodbye." I say, my face dropping as I bite the inside of my cheek.

||

"You guys...." I trail off with a smile and Carter walks up to me, embracing me with a hug.

"I missed you, Val. I love you." Carter says, rocking me back and forth.

"I missed you, too. I love you, bro." I grimace as he pulls away from me.

"Thank god you're okay." Sophia says as she hands me some flowers and I grin down at her.

"I'm just happy to see everyone. I missed you guys." I say and everyone smiles at me.

"We really missed you too. I was so scared, I didn't wanna lose you." Max says, hugging me and I chuckle.

"You won't, Miller." I say and he pulls away from me, rubbing my arm.

                                        ||

"Hey, babe." Alex says, walking into my room.

"Hey." I grin up at him.

"Get some rest?" He asks me.

"I'm not tired. All I've been doing for the past three days is rest." I say, clicking my pen back and forth.

"Okay. Catching up on some homework?" Alex asks, looking down at my notebook.

"Uh, no, uh, Becca's gonna go visit Leo. So. I wanted to write him a letter." I say.

"Oh. A letter." He says, taking a seat in the chair.

"What?" I ask him.

"Nothing. It's just that no one's written a letter since nineteen ninety four, so..." Alex chuckles and I laugh.

"Yeah, well, he doesn't seem to want to talk to me, so..." I trail off.

"I see." He nods his head and I turn back at him.

"What?" I ask him once again.

"Nothing. Just...ever since the explosion, you seem a little obsessed with him." Alex says.

"He's hurting. And I'm trying to help. What are you, jealous?" I tell him.

"Should I be?" He says, looking up at me.

"No. If you were in rehab, he'd do the same for you." I say and Alex scoffs.

"I doubt it. I'm sure he's do the same for you, though. Valerie...did something happen between you two in that cave?" He asks me.

"Yes, it did. We both got a virus and almost died. That's something that's a little life changing. Sorry if you didn't understand that." I say, getting up from the bed and walking away.

At least I'll be in peace while writing my letter now.

                                        ||

"Hey." Alex says to me and I stop in my tracks.

"Hey." I say.

"Look, I'm really sorry about what I said. I was being a total asshole." He says.

"Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with you on that one." I nod at him.

"Can I make it up to you? I've got two VIP tickets to a seven o'clock movie tonight. I'll even let you put junior mints in the popcorn." Alex says, holding up two gold tickets in his hand.

"What are we going to see?" I grin at him.

"The new Fast and the Furious." He says.

"Isn't this the one what the idiots that steal cars?" I ask him, cringing him a bit.

"And drive fast? Yes. But don't tell me you haven't seen any of the movies." He says.

"Nope." I say, shaking my head.

"Dude, best franchise ever." Alex says, matter of factly.

"Dude, fell asleep while watching the trailer." I say as he laughs.

"Hey, you'll like it once you get into it. Trust me, alright, We got fast cars." Alex says, putting an arm around me.

"Mm, what else?" I ask as we begin to walk down the hallway.

"That's the most important." He says.

"Yeah." I chuckle at him.

This might not be so bad.